Rain Protection

spatman

Hello

I recently picked up a D7000 and started learning about DSLRs and digital photography in general. I would like to keep shooting through the winter, but I am concerned about getting the camera wet during our long rainy season.

I see there are many rain capes/covers available, but I don't really know what the differences are and the pros/cons of each.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice about rain protection, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,
Matt

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I just tried the cheap optech rain covers on sunday while I was bored on a drenching day. I used mine with the 70-200 2.8 and it worked ok, although I have heard that using a shorter lens is not as forgiving, IDK why. The el cheapo cover actually worked pretty good and I feel a little more confident in using it next time it gets a little wet while I am out. I probably will not go out on a real bad day such as we had sat and sun but on a dreary moist day like oregon and washington see so often, I would not hesitate.

I will tell you the best advice I got on the subject and that was "when in doubt, dont go out"

Browncoat

You won't find a lot of reviews or top 10 lists on rain covers. There's a reason for that: none of them are very good. Mr. Aulabaugh is absolutely correct. When in doubt, don't go out. Lower end DSLRs are much more vulnerable to moisture problems because they're not sealed as well. Personally, I wouldn't even risk it.

Since you live in Oregon, I think your best course of action would be to ask around. Visit your local camera shop and see what the local pros have to say.

spatman

Thanks for the replies. I'll be heading over to Pro Photo Supply this weekend to ask about rain covers, but it does seem that I won't be shooting too many outdoor shots this winter...

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I would like to point out that lots of photojournalist and nature photographers brave the elements to get the shot. I believe the number one brand for them is aquatech.

Kamper

Hey Matt,

Here is what my wife made for my D7000 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens. Made from water proof camo material, has an elastic lip to secure to the end of the lens. Kind of a sleeve of a shirt, but for the camera body and lens. Wraps for tripod are secured with velcro. Was only a few bucks for material and some time to design. Has worked well in both rain and snow. Stores very easy in camera bag when not in use.

Ken

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: