Upgrading

kayte

So I have realized that my 2 older lenses- my 70-210mm telephoto and my 35-70mm- have finally reached retirement. Sadly,cuz they were awesome lenses. I have already upgraded my telephoto to a 55-200mm (brand new and I love it)

Today I realized that my 35-70mm has hit retirement age. it's gotten some condensation inside of it that won't go away, making all my photos foggy. So I'm going to retire it and find one to replace it.

Now my question, since that one was older and I want a newer, younger version (sounds soo mean, lol). What is the current equivilant of that one? if that question makes sense. I liked the focal length- it did macro really well (esp once you put on a screw on lens) but wider shots as well.

I'm thinking that the 50mm would be as close as I am going to get, though that is going into prime- not that I mind.

any suggestion?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, there is the 24-70 2.8 that is one of the best Nikon lenses out there. But, it's expensive and heavy. I went for the 24-120 F4 VRII and am very happy with it.
I also have the 35-70 and it's a great lens as long as you don't shoot with backlight. I've heard that they could be cleaned and repaired to remove some of that flare they are famous about… This would surely be cheaper than buying a new one.

kayte

Very true. I know there is a guy about an hour West of where I am that is an authorized Nikon repair person. Contacted him before about something to do with this lens. So may see if he still around- I was able to ship the lens to him, which saves me a pricey 1 hour trip to and back from there, as well as to pick it up.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I forgot to mention that I would also recommend the Tamron 17-50 2.8. This is a lens that is about 1/3 the price of Nikon 17-55 2.8 and is very sharp. I noticed in your equipment list that you don't have the wide end that 17mm could give you. This might be less expensive than having the 35-70 repaired. But…remember that the Tamron would NOT cover FX if you ever graduate to full frame sensor.

I remember reading that the 35-70 has some kind of glue failure between elements that can produce the fog you can see in the lens. But the front element can easily be removed for cleaning without harm (I did it), and it would improve it too. It all depends where about the lens seemed fogged inside.

kayte

I'm wondering if that glue failure is what is causing this fog...only issue is where it is doing this. I've cleaned the front lens and the one at the back and there's still some fog, so it's inside somewhere...and I'm too afraid to ruin the lens to play around with dismantling it (I've never been that great with that kinda thing)

I think I will save up for the Tamron...seems decent and you are right that i don't have the wide end that the 17 would give me. Now I have a goal, lol...ahhhh, Nikon, you make for a very pricey addiction, lol