Damaged SD files

GGDrummer

Hi All,

Just got back from a trip to Asia and when trying to download images from a new Sandisk card to Lightroom many were damaged. Ran a couple of programmes but to no avail. I decided to bite the bullet and reformat. After downloading app 6500 images I got another error message from another new Sandisk card as well saying files are not supported or damaged and so on.

Im a little freaked out as this would be disastrous if I was on the job. This has never happened before. The camera is 1 year old and Ive always swapped batteries and cards continuously after shooting hundreds of frames in one go with no problems. Have any of you experienced this and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Regards

George

RocketCowboy

Cards can go bad, so if you've isolated it down to an issue with one particular card then I would replace that card. If it's happening with multiple cards, then I might start to suspect an issue with the camera body, but it sounds like it's just one card for you so far?

This is precisely the reason why the higher end bodies have dual media card slots, to protect against card failure. It happens. While it shouldn't be a regular occurrence, your safe bet is to replace the card and move on. It's also one of the reasons why I won't use one large card for an entire event, but will change out cards 3-4 times during a wedding (for instance) in order to minimize the potential impacts of a card failure.

Just to make sure....Are you formatting the SD cards in the camera and not on the computer or another camera?

After I download files from a card to lightroom and I edit them I then always format the card in the camera just before I go out on a new shoot.

nickt

You say both cards were new. Did you buy both from the same place? That would be suspicious. Apparently there are a lot of fake Sandisk cards out there.