ISO comparison with D810

no pro

Hello there, new to the forum. I just bought a D500 to hopefully shoot better, less noisy pictures at the Friday night football games. I did a pre-game comparison with the cameras and found the noise at 6400 and 12800 to be close to the same, but the shutter speed is much higher on the D500 for the same exposure. I shot a scene at f8 and 12800 and the shutter speed was 1/1250 on the D810 and 1/2000 on the D500. this should allow me to shoot at a faster speed, with more reach and twice the burst speed. Looks like a good deal! I also noticed the auto white balance is consistanty warmer on the D500.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

It'd be interesting to see some of your sample images too. Having the D7100 myself, my dilemma is whether to stay crop and go D500, or go full frame to the D810. Since you've gone from D810 to D500, it'd be interesting to see the image differences.

no pro

These are unedited, raw converted to jpeg at 12800 iso and f8. Just for testing the iso. I hope they show up...

Attachments

• _DSC0233.jpg
    _DSC0233.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 207
  • _DSC0889.jpg
    _DSC0889.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 139

no pro

I adjusted the auto 1 settings in the menu to fix it, and went too far. Still working on it. I have only had it 3 days

GracieAllen

Interesting that you're getting a difference in exposure. And 2/3 of a stop is quite a difference... I've had both mine out (the D810 and the D500), and using the same lens on the same subject my recollection is that I had the same exposure. I'll have to try it again, but in my head I'm thinking that for any given ISO and aperture, the shutter speed should be the same. If you shoot the same subject with both cameras, at the shutter speed your settings indicate are correct (1/1250 and 1/2000) are the images identical? Is that what the ones above are?

As for the blue cast, have you tried the other automatic white balances? I believe one of them is warm and at least one is the "normal" neutral...

Moab Man

I compared the D600 / D500 with the same settings and a lens being swapped between the two cameras. Here is the 100% full pixel peeping. If anyone wants some sample raw files I can dropbox them. Of course these are Jpeg compressed for upload, but I found the D500 to be about 3/4 of a full frame.
D500.jpgD600.jpg

Moab Man

The D600 is cleaner than the D500. What is the ISO?

Here was the original info from when I tested/compared the two.

Here is a zoomed in 100% 1 inch square tiff from each. In camera raw I adjusted for lens (Tamron 90mm) and did a luminance slider adjustment of +25 - what I generally use on all high ISO images. f3.2 aperture priority with auto white balance. The ISO was 3200.

Zoomed in at this level of course shows it at its worst, but with that said, I would solidly place the D500 as 75% as noise free as the D600 full frame. Viewing the whole image as you would have a picture at for a client, I would have no hesitation using the images out of the D500 at ISO 3200. And the grain you do see will pretty much disappear in an actual print.

no pro

I shoot Atlanta Hawks basketball games all the time from the same general area of the stands. With the d810 and 80-400 lens my settings were 1/800 shutter and 12800 iso. Now I shoot 1/1250 shutter and 8000 iso with the d500 and get the same exposure with very similar noise using the same lens. I also discovered that the flicker control setting can be turned off and comes that way as the default position.