Steve Jobs

Browncoat

I'm probably the last person on these boards you thought would posting this. However, it needs to be said...

Steve Jobs was a megalomaniac. He was a tyrannical leader who belittled his employees and demanded perfection, often going off on obscene tirades and forcing them to work insane hours to push out new products. To Jobs, Apple was more than just a company. It was a mantra, a state of being, even a way of life. Jobs dealt in absolutes: you were either "in" or you were "one of them".

Genius is often overshadowed by larger than life personalities and even mental disorders. John Nash, Vincent van Gogh, Emily Dickens, and Edgar Allan Poe are prime examples. Add Steve Jobs to the long list of crazy creatives. He took being different to the extreme, and never once in his life conformed to the status quo. We can all heed some words of wisdom from Steve Jobs when it comes to our photography. After all, there's a little crazy in all of us:

Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.

You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.

Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?

Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.

We don’t get a chance to do that many things, and every one should be really excellent. Because this is our life. Life is brief, and then you die, you know? And we’ve all chosen to do this with our lives. So it better be damn good. It better be worth it.

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

I’m as proud of what we don’t do as I am of what we do.

Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.

It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.

I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.