How low S can you go with a monopod

titoPhoto

How low S can you go with a monopod for people sitting at a wedding during the ceremony. I was trying to catch all the bridesmaids sitting. Many of them where blury also. I was not sure what F to use. I was at 4-5 feelts from the first one, using a 70-200mm there was 20 bridesmaid. I had to take them sideway.

Catherder

I'm guessing how slow of a shutter speed and what f stop to use?
Need some more information like indoors or out, Were they all blurry or were some in focus and others not? What settings did you shoot them at? Shutter,aperture,iso?

Last edited:

Blacktop

How low S can you go with a monopod for people sitting at a wedding during the ceremony. I was trying to catch all the bridesmaids sitting. Many of them where blury also. I was not sure what F to use. I was at 4-5 feelts from the first one, using a 70-200mm there was 20 bridesmaid. I had to take them sideway.

As long as you don't start taking upskirt shots, you should be safe.:)

mikew_RIP

Sounds like you where shooting down the line of 20 brides maids,something i have never tried but i cant imagine you will ever get enough DOF with the situation and lens you describe,in fact i have my doubts any lens would do it satisfactorily.

Down a row 20 people long you can get them all in focus by using a wide angle lens since they have a much wider DOF. I was talking to someone this morning. Lets assume they are using a DX camera with the Tokina 11-16

Set the lens at 11MM, F8 and focus at a distance of 3 feet. Shutter speed at least 1/30 or 1/60 just to make sure that people moving will not effect the shot. ISO to whatever it takes to get the exposure correct.

Everything from 1.37 feet to infinity will be in focus. This is called the hyperfocal distance.

This also works great when you are shooting in very dark so you can focus before you even go into the area

dof.PNG

Online Depth of Field Calculator

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Down a row 20 people long you can get them all in focus by using a wide angle lens since they have a much wider DOF. I was talking to someone this morning. Lets assume they are using a DX camera with the Tokina 11-16

Set the lens at 11MM, F8 and focus at a distance of 3 feet. Shutter speed at least 1/30 or 1/60 just to make sure that people moving will not effect the shot. ISO to whatever it takes to get the exposure correct.

Everything from 1.37 feet to infinity will be in focus. This is called the hyperfocal distance.

This also works great when you are shooting in very dark so you can focus before you even go into the area

View attachment 228649

Online Depth of Field Calculator

And then do you have to worry about how "fat" you will make the people due to distortion of the 11mm. (I don't have experience with this, but have read about it.) That was one of the cautions I read why the UWA lens is not good for the people on the fringes of the photo. Ha!

And then do you have to worry about how "fat" you will make the people due to distortion of the 11mm. (I don't have experience with this, but have read about it.) That was one of the cautions I read why the UWA lens is not good for the people on the fringes of the photo. Ha!

There are ways to correct it so it looks great. It does take a little work to learn how but once you do it is worth the effort.