What to bring, what to pack?

csgaraglino

So I am heading out for a hike this weekend to shoot the fall colors here in Colorado. I have a plethora of lenses to bring as well as other gear. All said it would probably nearly 75 pounds if I took everything and the hike might last all of 15 minutes!

So time to trim the fat and scale down to a smaller backpack for the actual hike - but what to bring?

The elevation will average about 10,000 feet and there will be lots of tree, mountain ranges, lakes and waterfalls - with the slight chance of large game wildlife. I say slight, because this area is somewhat touristy and wildlife in the masses tends to stay deeper in the woods.

Looking at Garmin Basecamp I have mapped out 5 lakes and two waterfalls on 2 different routes from the trail head. This will make the hikes about 2 miles each and roughly 400+ vertical feet of climbing each.

The weather is going to be hit and miss. We are expecting a big cold front to come in tomorrow with rain/snow Friday leaving the ground damp for Saturday morning shoot. Meaning that Saturday morning could have fog, mist, sun, some or lots of clouds - then turning into a sully day and evening.

My intent is to hike one at dawn and the other at dusk.

I do have a smaller backpack that can hols a body & lens and an extra lens - along with some other gear and accessories.

I have the standard lenses, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and then a 60 macro, 85 1.8, and a 300mm with a 1.4x - I have my standard tripod with 55mm ball and a much smaller/lighter tripod that maxes out at 24". I have a slew of filters from polarizes to several ND and ND Grads.

Since I can only bring a body and 2 lenses - which to bring? Do I sacrifice weight vs functionality for tripods? What about optional accessories/gear?

Here are a few typical shots form other years of fall color here in my backyard - this hike will be in a completely different locations with lots of water - but you get the idea.

DSC_5916.jpg

DSC_5920.jpg

DSC_5931.jpg

DSC_5934.jpg

Horoscope Fish

So I am heading out for a hike this weekend to shoot the fall colors here in Colorado. I have a plethora of lenses to bring as well as other gear. All said it would probably nearly 75 pounds if I took everything and the hike might last all of 15 minutes!

So time to trim the fat and scale down to a smaller backpack for the actual hike - but what to bring?

The elevation will average about 10,000 feet and there will be lots of tree, mountain ranges, lakes and waterfalls - with the slight chance of large game wildlife. I say slight, because this area is somewhat touristy and wildlife in the masses tends to stay deeper in the woods.

Looking at Garmin Basecamp I have mapped out 5 lakes and two waterfalls on 2 different routes from the trail head. This will make the hikes about 2 miles each and roughly 400+ vertical feet of climbing each.

The weather is going to be hit and miss. We are expecting a big cold front to come in tomorrow with rain/snow Friday leaving the ground damp for Saturday morning shoot. Meaning that Saturday morning could have fog, mist, sun, some or lots of clouds - then turning into a sully day and evening.

My intent is to hike one at dawn and the other at dusk.

I do have a smaller backpack that can hols a body & lens and an extra lens - along with some other gear and accessories.

I have the standard lenses, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and then a 60 macro, 85 1.8, and a 300mm with a 1.4x - I have my standard tripod with 55mm ball and a much smaller/lighter tripod that maxes out at 24". I have a slew of filters from polarizes to several ND and ND Grads.

Since I can only bring a body and 2 lenses - which to bring? Do I sacrifice weight vs functionality for tripods? What about optional accessories/gear?

Here are a few typical shots form other years of fall color here in my backyard - this hike will be in a completely different locations with lots of water - but you get the idea.
If it were me I'd attach the 24-70mm, pack the 14-24mm and bring a serious tripod. I'd have a polarizer for the 24-70mm, but I avoid using CPL's when shooting wide and 24mm is right on the line of how wide I'll go with a CPL attached. Lastly, I'd pack an ND1024 (ten-stop) if planning to do any slow, silky water shots. I like to keep an ND8 (three-stop) on me too because they're just handy as hell.

Bikerbrent

You fail to mention what camera body you will be using. From your lens selection, I would guess an FX body, but from your sample photos it looks like a D80 (DX body). If an FX body I would agree with Fish's suggestion. Also I would say if the 1.4x converter can be used with the 24-70 I would suggest taking it to get a little longer reach (about 100mm). If a DX body, I would probably keep the 14-24 mounted for a 21-36mm range. The 24-70 will give you a 36-105mm range and the 1.4x would increase the top range to about 150mm. I would also wish I had something wider like a 11-28 or 12-24 DX lens to replace the 14-24 on a DX. In my own situation, I would take my D7200 with 18-200 and my 12-24 for this type of project. This would give me a total ranges of 18-300mm. And yes, the 18-200 is NOT as sharp as the 24-70, but in this situation it would be a good trade-off.