Flash control

canuck257

The menu item "Flash Control" is greyed out on my camera. This is in accordance with the handbook and two other aftermarket books I have read. They all agree that, with specific speed lights mounted, that menu item is accessible. I have two SB600 speed lights that fall into the approved category neither of which "un grey" that menu item. I have tried every combination that I can think of but nothing works.

Suggestions (NOT improper) and advice would be appreciated. The approved list includes the SB's 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 & 5000 units if somebody with one of these could try and make it work for them.

On edit. Both SB600 units function perfectly in the hot shoe and in wireless remote triggers.

Last edited:

WayneF

The menu item "Flash Control" is greyed out on my camera. This is in accordance with the handbook and two other aftermarket books I have read. They all agree that, with specific speed lights mounted, that menu item is accessible. I have two SB600 speed lights that fall into the approved category neither of which "un grey" that menu item. I have tried every combination that I can think of but nothing works.

Suggestions (NOT improper) and advice would be appreciated. The approved list includes the SB's 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 & 5000 units if somebody with one of these could try and make it work for them.

On edit. Both SB600 units function perfectly in the hot shoe and in wireless remote triggers.

I don't have a D500, and am not familiar with it. However looking in the manual, page 208 on Flash Control appears omit the SB-600. But page 329 says the SB-600 will work remotely if a SU-800 commander is on the camera.

canuck257

Thank you Wayne unfortunately, I don't have an SU800. I do have a Yongnuo YN622N-TX but that does not solve the problem. I agree that the manual does not list the SB600 but several other sources do. Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn't be fun:sorrow:

Osantacruz

What menu are you seeing this? Jumping around my d500 I don't see flash control.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

Dunno, that's what I'm trying to find out:confused: I guess I'm just curious really.
Flash Control Options.jpg

no pro

In my manual, page 199, it says only sb-5000, 500,400 or 300 will turn it on. Those models need it, except for the 5000, and it can display on the flash or the camera. My sb700 and sb910 will not turn it on.

Bikerbrent

I am having the same problem (greyed out) on my SB-800. What else might cause this?
Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

D'Grump

I found this over on DPReview in their Nikon Pro DX forum

The flash menu in the D500 is meant for their latest breed of wireless flashes. With anything else, including older Nikon branded flashes, there is an alternative method.

Hit the "i" button, then hit the flash button, a manual flash control menu will appear. You can then use the front or rear control wheel to make adjustments to compensation, curtain sync, etc.

I haven’t tried it, so I don’t know if it works or not. BUT, you might try it to see if it really is a workaround to your issue.
Andy