D5300 Question

mikegoz

Had a D90 a couple of years ago. Loved it, but sold it. Read a lot of good things about the D5300, so I bought one. Does the D5300 have a considerable lag time, or am I missing something. Love the camera, and have had great photos, but wondering about the lag time? Need some help!

Fred Kingston

shutter lag on the D5300 is 200ms, the D90 is 203ms... There are several factors and settings you might be experiencing... One is focus lock... If you don't have focus lock, the camera won't fire... depending on lighting and conditions, as you press the shutter 1/2 way, the camera tries to re-acquire focus... there are settings to change, turn off focus lock. There may also be differences between AF-A and AF-C in low light situations...

aroy

In certain lighting especially low light and low contrast the camera may not acquire focus and thus refuse to fire. I have faced it a lot of times with my D3300, where an image is seeming perfectly in focus but the camera refuses to fire. Here are some situations
. Object is too near, especially when using an on-board flash. There is a minimum distance for the flash.
. The contrast is very low for AF to function.
. You are trying to focus on a flower, but the background clutter prevents the focus acquisition, this is especially true when the image is around the size of the focus rectangle.
. The light is either too high or too low. This happens especially when using fixed ISO

JH Foto

Hello and welcome...............:).......I owned a D5300 for a while and never had this problem, maybe re check your settings ?

mikegoz

I think the "view finder" vs "live view" makes the difference. I will, however, check my other settings. Thank you all for the quick response. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move along..