Tokina 12-24 f/4 or 11-16 f/2.8

Wilensky

I am looking to add to my lenses collection a wide angle DX lens.

Has anyone experience with one of the lenses in the subject?

Thanks,
Amnon

Horoscope Fish

I am looking to add to my lenses collection a wide angle DX lens.

Has anyone experience with one of the lenses in the subject?

Thanks,
Amnon
They're both great lenses, excellent IQ all the way around. I have an 11-16mm f/2.8 but only because the 12-28mm f/4 wasn't available at the time. If I was still in the market for an ultra-wide DX then I'd get the more flexible 12-28mm f/4, personally. I know I wouldn't miss the extra stop.

MartinCornwall

I have the 11-16mm f2.8 and it's a great lens. I would sill go with this one if buying again for the f2.8. It makes a lot of difference if you plan on doing any night photography.

Wilensky

So, They are both good, the same size, weight, and price.
What do you think is more important: the extra stop or the extra zoom?

pendennis

I opted for the 12-24 f4, and no regrets. I use it on my D500 as a "general use" lens (wide-to-normal). I seldom shoot wide open, so the extra stop is not an issue. Besides, ISO settings are made to be changed.

The extra focal length at the long end, makes it more versatile to me. However, if someone offered me the 11-16 f2.8 at a great price, I'd be all over that one, too.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I just recently picked up the 11-16 (2.8) and so far I have found it to be a very nice lens. There are times that I wish I had the extra zoom to fill in the gap I have between the 11-16 and my 18-55 kit lens. So far in how I have used the lens the extra stop has not been a factor one way or another. Look at the price for each one and flip a coin. Ha!

Blacktop

Of course, But assuming you can have only one.

When I buy an UWA lens I'm buying it just for that reason. Ultra Wide Angle. I don't think I ever used the 16mm side of the Tokina 11-16 when I had it. I bought it for the 11mm side to shoot Ultra Wide Angle. The 2.8 Maximum aperture was not needed often, but it was there in case I did need it.

Bikerbrent

I have the 12-24 and love it. I got this lens when it first came out. And while I would love the extra wide angle of the 11-16 and wider f-stop, I am not sure about the limited range from 16-24 or the cost of replacing the lens is worth it. Now if Tokina came out with a 10-20 or 10-24 with f2.8 and the same IQ, I would be all over it.

I have the 11-16mm f2.8 and it's a great lens on my D7100. The f2.8 can be very nice on occasions. You do not list what camera you have and that does make a difference. When shooting in low light you can always raise the ISO but with some cameras you will stat getting into more noise so What camera are you shooting?

If you fill out your profile and add the camera gear we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Under camera just put the model number like D7100; Once you put the first letter like D you will see a list of all the cameras in the database pop up. The more numbers you put in the smaller the list becomes. When you see your camera just click on it, Be sure to click on "Save Changes" in the lower right corner.

Thanks

Wilensky

Don,
I have edited my profile, I hope that will help in the future.
Anyway, My present camera is D500.
My lenses are all Nikon so far. Micro 85, 18-55, 55-200, 18-105 and 18-300 (new model)
My favorite lens is the "all in one" 18-300. When I am traveling it's the only lens I am taking with me. The photos are excellent and the lens is very light relatively to that range of the zoom.
Thanks,
Amnon

Don,
I have edited my profile, I hope that will help in the future.
Anyway, My present camera is D500.
My lenses are all Nikon so far. Micro 85, 18-55, 55-200, 18-105 and 18-300 (new model)
My favorite lens is the "all in one" 18-300. When I am traveling it's the only lens I am taking with me. The photos are excellent and the lens is very light relatively to that range of the zoom.
Thanks,
Amnon

Then you can get by with f4 since the D500 has excellent Low light capability. I bought the Tokina 16-28 full frame for my D750 to replace my 11-16 for my D7100. I love both of them.

Danno

Just to throw a wrench in the works. I want to mention Sigma lens that I am most found of. It is the 10-20 f3.5. I looked at the Tokina lenses and saw a bunch of photos taken with the Sigma and it pretty much stays on my D7200. Most shots I take of landscapes are at 10 mm, but I have used the 20 mm end as well.

I will not knock the Tokina lens. They are great lenses. I just like the Sigma a bit better and it is in the same price range. The Sigma kind of fits between the two Tokina lenses, and I wanted to get the widest angle I could without getting into a fisheye. You can do a search by lens type on Flickr to get a feel for it.