Remote Shutter Release with D500

joelincoln

What do all of you use as a remote shutter trigger on the D500? I used to use the IR ML-L3 on my old D7000 but the D500 doesn't support it.

The only time I typically use one is when shooting fireworks. So I don't need anything fancy...the ML-L3's features worked fine for me.

Suggestions?

What do all of you use as a remote shutter trigger on the D500? I used to use the IR ML-L3 on my old D7000 but the D500 doesn't support it.

The only time I typically use one is when shooting fireworks. So I don't need anything fancy...the ML-L3's features worked fine for me.

Suggestions?

If you have a smart phone then use the UMA app to see the shot and fire the camera. I used it today to shoot a group shot of my camera group on a photo walk.

09-10-2016_0055-Edit.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
Does that app a) fire the shutter with no lag? and b) allow you to hold it open when in the "Bulb" mode?

Never have tried it in Bulb mode but it does fire with no noticeable lag. The app is free so it will not cost you anything to try it. What I really like is the ability to download a shot directly to your phone and do a quick edit there and send it somewhere in a message or even to Facebook.

BackdoorArts

I use these. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753842-REG/Vello_RWII_N_FreeWave_Plus_Wireless_Remote.html

It's cable connected to the hot shot connector but the RF wireless allows me to trigger from distances and without requiring line of site to the camera. It's instantaneous and with the camera in Constant mode and the trigger on Bulb it's like holding the shutter button down - it fires until I hit the trigger again. Same trigger works on every Nikon and Sony I own, I just have to switch the connecting cable to the proper type. They have DIP switches to allow you to use multiple cameras with separate triggers. Setting the switches the same allows triggering of two cameras in separate locations with one press of the button. They've never failed me.

joana1n

What is the UMA App? Sorry to bump a thread that's nearly a month old, but I'm searching for a way to remotely trigger the shutter of my D500.

TKC_D500

What is the UMA App? Sorry to bump a thread that's nearly a month old, but I'm searching for a way to remotely trigger the shutter of my D500.

If you are talking about the Nikon WMU app, it does not support the D500. With the D500 and other new bodies, Nikon has gone to Snapbridge. It's a little rough around the edges right now, so I am still using my TriggerTrap while I wait for Nikon to work out some of the bugs with Snapbridge. TriggerTrap works great with my D500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bikerbrent

Why the heck did all of the camera makers do away with the old mechanical cable release? It was simple, cheap, eashy to carry, and it worked!

Bikerbrent

Nikon makes this one, but I don't know if it is compatible with the D500. It's supposed to work with select DSLR's.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677562,&Q=&A=details

It is still much more expensive than a cable release, a lot more bulky to pack, and it needs batteries. Then there is still the question, will it work on camera A. If yes, what about my camera B and if not do I have to purchase and carry yet another remote shutter release, that probably don't even use the same batteries!

RocketCowboy

Does the D500 have the 10-pin cable design that the D8x0/D4/D5/etc have? I noticed I'm going to have to swap out my cable release going from the D7100 to the D810 as well.

BackdoorArts

Why the heck did all of the camera makers do away with the old mechanical cable release? It was simple, cheap, eashy to carry, and it worked!

Mechanical releases were great for manual focus cameras because you never had to half-press the button and wait for it to focus. There are plenty of wired remotes available, you just plug 'em into a different place. That said, wired remotes are useless to me unless I need to grab a precise moment without camera movement. More times than not the self-timer set to 2 or 5 seconds is enough to allow the camera to settle before engaging the shutter provided you have a sturdy tripod.