D7000 & gp-1

proftournesol

I've just got back from a brief cycling trip to the French alps with my (newish) D7000. I bought a GP-1 GPS unit for the trip as I wanted to be able to location tag my shots as most of them are landscape shots out of town. I discovered 2 things on that trip: a Nikkor 18-200 lens may be convenient but it sure is heavy! This became an issue as I had to carry it on my bike, although of course if I was honest my lack of fitness was much more of an issue:( The GP-1 is quite slow in getting a satellite lock, although only marginally slower than my GPS equipped Garmin bike computer, but if I stopped to take a shot then it meant waiting for a minute or so each time. The biggest problem though was Nikon's stupid decision to put the accessory terminal behind a flimsy plastic door. This creates a dilemma: leave the GPS unit plugged in (and always draining power) so that the location fixing time is shorter but the camera had to be packed between shots with the plastic door open risking an eventual breakage, of disconnect the GPS each time and wait and wait and wait....

Why couldn't they just have used a flexible plastic cover for the port like my old D50 had?