shooting architecture with D3300 and lenses I should consider?

I've been in an out of photography for many years and just recently decided to get back into it.

I just purchased a D3300 and really like it, but my main subject matter will be architecture - including both commercial and residential subjects. I know the two lenses I have right now are not that good for either:

18-55mm and a 55-200mm which came with the camera. If they are, please tell me and guide to me some resources where I can learn more about getting the most out of these lenses.

My question(s) are:

1 - what kind of wide angle lens should I get so I can shoot these large buildings and houses? I know the best case scenario is to get a wide angle or a tilt-shift lens
2 - is it worth it to put a 2K lens on this camera?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Pete

The Tokina 11-16 is an affordable wide angle for DX and does a good job. The key to shooting wide angle in architecture though is in the post processing getting everything square and level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Don Thanks for the heads up on a wide angle lens. Yeap, I've seen various post production approaches to fixing the converging verticals issue. Do you think a tilt-shift is worth it at this point, or should I just invest a decent wide angle and do the post production corrections as necessary?

I do use the Adobe Creative Cloud for all kinds of things and already have a subscription so no worries there for post production software.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

@Don Thanks for the heads up on a wide angle lens. Yeap, I've seen various post production approaches to fixing the converging verticals issue. Do you think a tilt-shift is worth it at this point, or should I just invest a decent wide angle and do the post production corrections as necessary?

I do use the Adobe Creative Cloud for all kinds of things and already have a subscription so no worries there for post production software.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

i think tilt shift is a bit much for you at this point. If you plan to do a lot of work like this I would suggest a program called DxO Viewpoint. You can do the distortion correction in Lightroom but it is not the easiest work to do and it a little time consuming. Viewpoint is fast and very accurate. I shoot a old 1850s factory and there are lots of lines to deal with and that is what I use. Only takes a minute to make it look great and it is a plugin for Lightroom

Shots like the one below are what I have to deal with in there.

01-16-16_0044-2_nikon_d750_14_mm_1-3_sec_at_f_-_8.0_iso_100.jpg

Thanks for tip - I'll purchase that DxO plugin today and start using it on some of the photos I've been working on.

I'm also going to just stick with a decent wide angle and go from there. Thanks a lot for your advice, I really appreciate it!

Pete

aroy

You can also start practicing stitching images. Initially one ROW and later on, multirow stitching, Done properly, with static subject you will get excellent results. A plus side with software is that you can select the view point and projection from a lot of options available. Try with Microsoft ICE and later on you can graduate to more advanced software.

Another good thing about image stitching is that you can get final images that are 100MP or more, difficult with normal FF sensor.