African Safari suggestions?

Boomer

My wife and I bought our D3100 about a month ago in preparation for an 11 day safari in Tanzania. I had no SLR experience. I've read several books on DSLRs and wildlife photograph and been taking pictures like mad trying to learn as much as I can before we go.

We're leaving in 2 weeks. We are going to be out in the bush with no camera stores or Amazon deliveries ;), so I have to pack everything we could need but also limit weight.

I'm looking for suggestions of things I might have forgotten.

Here's what I have now:
  • D3100
  • Nikkor 18-55 kit lens
  • Nikkor 55-300 telephoto lens
  • UV and polarizer filters for both lenses
  • Lens hoods for both lenses
  • Lens pen & cloth
  • Remote shutter release
  • Carbon fiber monopod & pistol grip head
  • Small bendable tripod
  • 3 batteries
  • 2 battery chargers
  • 3 32Gb Class 10 SDHC chips & hard Pelican case
  • Lowenpro belt case
  • Lowenpro backpack
  • Notebook & pencil
  • Netbook with 90Gb storage and 250Gb external drive. ViewNx2 loaded.
  • For when I get back, Capture NX2 & "After the Shoot" by Hagen
I plan to shoot everything in raw mode; hence all the storage.

BTW - I looked at a 2x teleconverter but don't want to drop another $700 on photo gear!

Toppers

BTW thats a lot of kit to carry I took my D3100, both my lens as listed below, cleaning gear, 2 batteries and a good case for the journey. Luggage is limited on safari I think ours was 15KG each and although some take rigid suitases they were the few as most do not.

Remember its a day here 2 days there and all that dust..

BUT it is bloody well worth it I can tell you.....

stamatisg2002

Are you going to the Saadani River Lodge? The manager there is Greek, and he went around the world 2 years ago, with a 4x4. He has LOTS of stories to tell. Just in case you go there...

I had to settle for the local zoo this afternoon.

D3100_10_06_2011_2048sm.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice cat for sure, but… it's not quite sharp. Can't find the exif but I suspect too slow shutter speed or too much cropping, or, out of focus so ever slightly.

Shooting through fence, hence the cropping. Also, this is the first time I have used in camera cropping. I have the raw image... need to go in and see what proper PP can do.

OK, A little editing Marcel. Any better?

D3100_10_06_2011_2032sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: