Nikon D810 Firmware Update Not Available

imageMan

Hello All,

When I bring up my Nikon D810's firmware screen, it lists the firmware versions. I formatted my SD card ( a deep format from the computer ), downloaded and copied the D810_0111.bin file and inserted the card back into the camera.

When I revisit the firmware screen, there is no update selection available for me to update my camera. I've tried everything I know and simply cannot get the camera to display the 'update' selection.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with your D810? I have followed the instructions to a 'T' several times to no avail. I've also reset the camera, to no avail.

Thanks,

Horoscope Fish

Did you reformat the SD card in the camera after you reformatted on your computer? If you didn't do so, then copy the .bin file back over to the SD card and try updating again. Reformatting on the PC will rebuild the FAT32 structure on the card, "formatting" in-camera (I really wish Nikon would stop calling it that) will recreate the folder-structure the camera uses.

Last edited:

imageMan

To clarify, are you saying to do an in-camera format after the computer format, then put the file on the card and try again? What is the reasoning here? Is there something the camera does during the formatting process that the computer doesn't?

Horoscope Fish

To clarify, are you saying to do an in-camera format after the computer format, then put the file on the card and try again? What is the reasoning here? Is there something the camera does during the formatting process that the computer doesn't?
Yes, and yes...

As I explained, formatting in the computer rebuilds the file-structure on the card, in this case FAT32. The file structure is the "foundation", the folder structure is a "house" you build on top of it. "Formatting" in the camera, which is not really formatting at all, rebuilds the folder structure the camera uses. I could be wrong, but I suspect the camera needs both to be able to use the card to do anything, which includes finding your firmware update.

imageMan

Ok. I read the message in my email which only says

"[FONT=&quot]Did you reformat the SD card in the camera after you reformatted on your computer? If you didn't do so, then copy the .bin file back over to the SD card and try updating again."

I didn't see the rest of your explanation. I'll try that tonight and get back with you. Thx for the input.[/FONT]

imageMan

Well, I've tried what you suggested to no avail. I've put the file in various places on each try and can't get the stupid Update selection to display. I think I'm going to have to have the damn camera serviced.