Wow!!

Just-Clayton

I just got done looking at a friends wedding shoot. I started noticing this smudge in the pictures. All pictures. She has done weddings for a while. But, no improvement. What I laughed at the most was that people posted on her page, that they were orbs. Faces weren't in focus at all. The composition was way off. I do a few weddings a year and always make sure everything is ready to go. Once in a life time memory gone if not done right.

I just got done looking at a friends wedding shoot. I started noticing this smudge in the pictures. All pictures. She has done weddings for a while. But, no improvement. What I laughed at the most was that people posted on her page, that they were orbs. Faces weren't in focus at all. The composition was way off. I do a few weddings a year and always make sure everything is ready to go. Once in a life time memory gone if not done right.

Is this a close friend that did the wedding? Did you have a conversation with her?

Not yet just noticed.

I see this far to often. May not be true of your friend so I am not pointing at her. To many people buy a camera and get a few likes on Facebook and decide that they are professionals. They then go out and start shooting wedding for dirt cheep rates and really mess them up and the bride gets really bad wedding shots they have to live with for life. Not just anyone can shoot a wedding correctly. We have a couple here that are at the top of the game.

Blade Canyon

You say "a friend's wedding shoot", but it's not clear if your friend is the photographer? Or is your friend the bride or groom? Was much money paid for these photographs? Is the photographer a full-time pro?

I shot a wedding for a poor couple back in the film days. The pictures came out okay, but it was way too much stress on me. My wife and I paid for the film, the processing, and even the photo album with 8x10's of the best shots. That was our wedding gift to the couple.

The bride and I never had a meeting to discuss her expectations, or what she wanted done at the wedding. Except for posed shots at the altar (shot with a Speedotron 3-light set up), I treated the whole day as a photo-journalism event (which was how I shot everything for the newspaper and yearbook in college), and greatly underestimated the amount of film needed. Luckily, I was able to bum a few rolls of ASA 400 color from some other guests.

So today I think of this couple looking back at their 100% free wedding shots and going, "That guy really sucked." Either way, they got what they paid for.

Last edited:

kevy73

Ouch - from both the bride and grooms pov and the photographers. I use my trust Nikonites lens cloth to clean all my lenses before each wedding...

:( That is really sad she hadn't noticed before now.

She was the Photographer. There just isn't any improvement. I think she still uses a D90 and a kit lens.

I wouldn't even consider shooting professionally when I had my D7100 and have only started taking a select few since I have my D750. Yes there are some people who can do a good job with a DX camera but the D90 is way back in the pack. (Don't get mad at me for saying this you D90 shooters) But if you are going to charge people for your photography you need to have decent equipment and take care of what you have.

Whiskeyman

I wouldn't even consider shooting professionally when I had my D7100 and have only started taking a select few since I have my D750. Yes there are some people who can do a good job with a DX camera but the D90 is way back in the pack. (Don't get mad at me for saying this you D90 shooters) But if you are going to charge people for your photography you need to have decent equipment and take care of what you have.

More importantly, if you are going to shoot professionally, you need to know what you are doing!

I'll take someone that really knows what they're doing with a D90 over someone who doesn't with a D5. And what they're doing includes how to take very good photographs as well as how to work a wedding.

Weddings are a tough business; our guild has some great photographers who won't take a wedding on for any price. And I also know some local photographers who shoot many weddings every year who won't even be considered for either of my daughters' weddings, whenever they might occur.

WM

Blacktop

She was the Photographer. There just isn't any improvement. I think she still uses a D90 and a kit lens.

I doubt that has anything to do with the smudges and the out of focus faces. People have been shooting weddings for a long time with lot less capable gear without smudges and out of focus faces.

I doubt that has anything to do with the smudges and the out of focus faces. People have been shooting weddings for a long time with lot less capable gear without smudges and out of focus faces.

I agree with that 100% but generally the photographers that do a really good job generally can afford better gear or at least something other that a kit lens.

Blacktop

More importantly, if you are going to shoot professionally, you need to know what you are doing!

I'll take someone that really knows what they're doing with a D90 over someone who doesn't with a D5. And what they're doing includes how to take very good photographs as well as how to work a wedding.

Weddings are a tough business; our guild has some great photographers who won't take a wedding on for any price. And I also know some local photographers who shoot many weddings every year who won't even be considered for either of my daughters' weddings, whenever they might occur.

WM

You could make sure that it coincides with the Circle B M&G and we could all shoot the wedding!:encouragement: (I'll be in charge of Bridesmates.:loyal:)