Lenses for D7200

brads

For a broad photography base, which THREE lenses would you recommend for the D7200. Leaning toward Close/Macro, Go anywhere and Wide.

Prime? Telephoto? Suggestions welcome.

Horoscope Fish

For a broad photography base, which THREE lenses would you recommend for the D7200. Leaning toward Close/Macro, Go anywhere and Wide.

Prime? Telephoto? Suggestions welcome.
For Macro I'd choose the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro.

For go anywhere/do anything probably the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, the Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR or the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art.

For wide-angle the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED.

Last edited:

Danno

I have been torn between the Sigma 105 and the Tamron 90 2.8 lens.
For knock around I have been been trying to figure that out for a while. I have a Sigma 18-250 I bought when I first got started and it works, but I would like something sharper.
For wide angle I love my Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and I think it spends more time on my camera than anything right now.

egosbar

nikon 105mm macro
tokina 11-16
24-85g ed vr
70-300g ed vr

sorry had to give four lol , google up best "nikon lenses - the angry photographer" , this guy knows his shit

Leif

Depends what you mean by macro. For studio work, and dead things, the 60mm F2.8 AFS micro lens is superb. For more general use, ~100mm is more useful. The 105mm F2.8 AFD lens is superb, the new one is supposed to be good too. The F1.8 primes are lovely, if you want light and good optics, with less flexibility than a zoom. They also focus close, for interesting close ups.

istan

Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Nikon 17-55mm 2.8
Or 3rd party lens with similar zoom
Nikon 18-200mm f3.5 - 5.6

Not a fan or macro work, so ur call on that.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

captain birdseye

At the moment I have only three lenses in my kit after having a merciless clear out of seldom used stuff to finance a new body and lens; nikon 200-500vr, nikon 18-140vr and sigma 150.
I may consider an ultrawide prime sooner or later.

Bikerbrent

nikon 105mm macro
tokina 11-16
24-85g ed vr
70-300g ed vr

sorry had to give four lol , google up best "nikon lenses - the angry photographer" , this guy knows his shit

If you are a fan of the angry photographer, why do you recommend the Nikon 105mm macro over the Tokina 100mm macro? The angry photographer raves about the Tokina and so do I.

Leif

If you are a fan of the angry photographer, why do you recommend the Nikon 105mm macro over the Tokina 100mm macro? The angry photographer raves about the Tokina and so do I.

Most macro lenses are either very good or superb. I once owned the Tamron F2.8 90mm macro, and it was sharper than the Nikon equivalent. But you get a different 'look', just as images with Zeiss lenses look noticeably different to images from Nikon lenses. And the Tamron was not as nicely made being made from a plastic that felt cheap, but I suspect it was as durable as the Nikon. As for image quality, there are plenty of reviews of the Tamron out there.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
For knock around I have been been trying to figure that out for a while. I have a Sigma 18-250 I bought when I first got started and it works, but I would like something sharper.
For wide angle I love my Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and I think it spends more time on my camera than anything right now.

The Sigma will give you a little more working distance between you and your subject when compared with the Tamron. Jake uses the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS and has stated many times how pleased he is. I bought the Nikon 105mm VR when they had a really good price on it--otherwise I would have bought the Sigma instead.

Scroll halfway down this page of Jake's Flickr images to see his snowflake shot (it's right below those amazing frozen bubbles he captured with a different lens).

EDIT: Just noticed only the first bubble shot was taken with a different lens. The two other frozen bubbles were taken with the Sigma macro.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/backdoorhippie/page6

To answer the OP's question, I'd recommend the Sigma 105mm Macro for the same reason I just mentioned.

For the other choices, since you are using a DX body, you need to decide whether you want to buy DX or FX glass. If you know for sure you will stick with DX, there are some great DX lenses out there. The reason I'm saying this is because a wide angle FX lens isn't all that wide on a DX body. 18mm on DX translates to 24mm FOV on FX. So if you are looking for a true wide angle perspective, then you might want to look at ultra wide angle lenses that are made specifically for DX.

Then as an all-around lens, one of the 18-xxx zooms should fit the bill. Since I've never used them and don't know which ones are better, I'll leave those suggestions to others who know more about them.

Last edited:

Danno

The Sigma will give you a little more working distance between you and your subject when compared with the Tamron. Jake uses the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS and has stated many times how pleased he is. I bought the Nikon 105mm VR when they had a really good price on it--otherwise I would have bought the Sigma instead.

Scroll halfway down this page of Jake's Flickr images to see his snowflake shot (it's right below those amazing frozen bubbles he captured with a different lens).

EDIT: Just noticed only the first bubble shot was taken with a different lens. The two other frozen bubbles were taken with the Sigma macro.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/backdoorhippie/page6

Thanks Cindy, I appreciate the advice... and the link.

Danino

Agree with the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 choice.

I recently got the Tokina 16-28 for my F750 and I am finding that it spends more time on my camera than anything else.

Danno

I recently got the Tokina 16-28 for my F750 and I am finding that it spends more time on my camera than anything else.

I just enjoy the wide angle zoom and what you can do with it. It has rekindled that desire to go to full frame... not that it is in the budget :D