Had the older one, now I've got the newer one. Nikon 70-300 AF-S f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

TedG954

I have an opportunity to go to Alaska next July for a land trip specifically for photography.

After comparing my D800 and Sony A7II for almost 2 years, I've decided that the D800 is the ultimate better of the two.

So, with that declaration, I will be taking Nikon gear on the trip. Imagining the trek, I found that I didn't have anything to reach beyond 85mm, with the exception of my Nikon 200-500VR. There's no way I'm taking that bazooka to Alaska. So.... I needed something else.

Quite a while back, I had the older style Nikon 70-300. It wasn't a bad lens, but I sold it, figuring I deserved the much touted Nikon 70-200/2.8. I never quite got around to getting one for some reason or another..... I did get an excellent Sony 70-200/4, but that won't work on my D800.

After a good amount of research, I decided the new Nikon70-300 VR was what I wanted. I found an excellent buy on eBay for $300 shipped. It arrived in it's original box with all the trimmings and the lens looked as good as new.

I took it out today to see how well it worked. I'm pleased to find that you don't have to spend four figures to get a nice lens.

8-15-16 DwnTwn   1sm.jpg

This is a stitched 4 frame pano........

8-15-16 DwnTwn   2sm.jpg

8-15-16 DwnTwn   3sm.jpg

8-15-16 DwnTwn   4BWsm.jpg

Blacktop

I have an opportunity to go to Alaska next July for a land trip specifically for photography.

After comparing my D800 and Sony A7II for almost 2 years, I've decided that the D800 is the ultimate better of the two.

So, with that declaration, I will be taking Nikon gear on the trip. Imagining the trek, I found that I didn't have anything to reach beyond 85mm, with the exception of my Nikon 200-500VR. There's no way I'm taking that bazooka to Alaska. So.... I needed something else.

Quite a while back, I had the older style Nikon 70-300. It wasn't a bad lens, but I sold it, figuring I deserved the much touted Nikon 70-200/2.8. I never quite got around to getting one for some reason or another..... I did get an excellent Sony 70-200/4, but that won't work on my D800.

After a good amount of research, I decided the new Nikon70-300 VR was what I wanted. I found an excellent buy on eBay for $300 shipped. It arrived in it's original box with all the trimmings and the lens looked as good as new.

I took it out today to see how well it worked. I'm pleased to find that you don't have to spend four figures to get a nice lens.

View attachment 223910

This is a stitched 4 frame pano........

View attachment 223911

View attachment 223912

View attachment 223913

I could have made you a better deal on mine!