Looking for help with post processing...if even possible.

Beanbagfrags

Whenever I post process the images below, I get the bird looking ok, but background is out to lunch. What am I missing/doing wrong?

_JTD6264 copy.jpg_JTD6264.jpg

_JTD6252 copy.jpg_JTD6252.jpg

nickt

What are you using for processing and are you shooting raw? I'm just a beginner as far as post goes compared to most of the folks here. In Lightroom, I turned down the whites and highlights. Water was still a little bright, so I turned down the exposure and raised the shadows.
You should be able to do much better with the original, especially if you shoot raw.
_JTD6264 copy.jpg

RON_RIP

Well I think the 3rd photo in the set is just fine. The swirls in the water are great and you have eliminated the uninteresting foreground.

Over exposed and over saturated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better, That is something you will need to work on when you are shooting the photos. You shoot for the highlights and bring up the shadow details in post. You really will need to be shooting in RAW to be able to take advantage of all the post processing that you can do. Study up on Histograms that you can see in your camera when you shoot.

Beanbagfrags

What are you using for processing and are you shooting raw? I'm just a beginner as far as post goes compared to most of the folks here. In Lightroom, I turned down the whites and highlights. Water was still a little bright, so I turned down the exposure and raised the shadows.
You should be able to do much better with the original, especially if you shoot raw.
View attachment 223624

I like your end product better, looks more realistic and light isn't so harsh on foreground/water.

Beanbagfrags

Better, That is something you will need to work on when you are shooting the photos. You shoot for the highlights and bring up the shadow details in post. You really will need to be shooting in RAW to be able to take advantage of all the post processing that you can do. Study up on Histograms that you can see in your camera when you shoot.

Will do some reading/research on above and experimenting with shooting raw. Thanks Don.

Blacktop

Whenever I post process the images below, I get the bird looking ok, but background is out to lunch. What am I missing/doing wrong?

View attachment 223619View attachment 223620

View attachment 223621View attachment 223622

You don't mention what programs you use for post processing.
If you are in LR, you really need to look into learning how to use the "adjustment brush or/and the graduated filter"

Either of these tool lets you selectively process the part of the image that you need fixin'.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/lightroom-adjustment-brush-basics.html

Lightroom CC ? Using the Radial and Graduated Filters « Julieanne Kost's Blog

sl60

I did this in Gimp in about 30 seconds--it's easy to make it darker or lighter as well.

Attachments

• bird photo--2--edited.jpg
    bird photo--2--edited.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 106

jonas_mendoza

I hate to say it but your pictures look as if it were shot in auto. Scott Murray is correct on this one. Get low with your subject and use the foreground and background to make the subject stand out. Your shot was from above making everything look as if it were all on the same focal length. Hence the auto look and feel as you would say "out to lunch" nothing exciting just out to lunch lol. On another note. I don't think there's no right or wrong words to say or express yourself. Although, Learn the terms so others can also learn and understand what from what your asking and you'll also get an educated answer from our seasoned photographers here.