Picture quality

C. Hand

So I am seeing grain/noise/pixelation in my photos the last two shoots. I was so frustrated with the JPGs, I went back to the RAWs figuring I over-processed but it was there also. I would like some feed-back on what is going on.

Camera: D7100
Lens: 18-70mm Nikon
I shoot mainly in aperture mode
I limit the shutter speed not to drop below 1/80 since I have no VR on this lens
I have the ISO set at 100 and not to go above 2,000 Flower Test.jpg

So I am seeing grain/noise/pixelation in my photos the last two shoots. I was so frustrated with the JPGs, I went back to the RAWs figuring I over-processed but it was there also. I would like some feed-back on what is going on.

Camera: D7100
Lens: 18-70mm Nikon
I shoot mainly in aperture mode
I limit the shutter speed not to drop below 1/80 since I have no VR on this lens
I have the ISO set at 100 and not to go above 2,000View attachment 222351

Kind of hard to see in this shot but I don't see the problem. Your shutter speed, ISO and aperture all look good.

RAW is always the better choice depending on how you process it. What program are you using? There are also many other settings on your camera for noise reduction but with how you are shooting you really should have them turned off since they are not needed.

C. Hand

Yes i see it with my 55-70 Nikon lens as well. Some images are super sharp and some are garbled looking. I am looking at 100%. it does not look like noise to me, and I do not think it is camera shake. Here is my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/123758579@N05/ take a look at trees 1.jpg, it is a little out of focus but the quality at 100% is bad.

C. Hand

If the shots are under exposed is more likely to see noise

That is why I went back to my raw file as shot, to see if I raised the exposure, but I saw it in raw before I touched anything.

I use Photoshop elements, thinking about stepping up to light room.

I admit I am an amature and processing is probably my weakest point.

Horoscope Fish

C. Hand said:
If the shots are under exposed is more likely to see noise
That is why I went back to my raw file as shot, to see if I raised the exposure, but I saw it in raw before I touched anything.

I use Photoshop elements, thinking about stepping up to light room.

I admit I am an amature and processing is probably my weakest point.
There's some noise in the background but it's pretty minimal and, though I was working with a small JPG, I thought it cleaned up okay.

After a quick and dirty clean up:
Wild Flowers #3.jpg

mauckcg

If you underexpose an image and bring up the exposure in post, noise will crop up. Lightroom does a pretty good job reducing it as long as you aren't too heavy handed with the noise reduction.

C. Hand

I found my answer!! I was watching a YouTube video about Lightroom tricks and to exaggerate his point he slid the sharpening slider all the way to the right and it made a blobing of the color almost honeycomb which is exactly what I had seen when enlarging my images. Went in and sure enough my sharpening was saved way too high!! I am just relieved that is all it was!!

Whiskeyman

I found my answer!! I was watching a YouTube video about Lightroom tricks and to exaggerate his point he slid the sharpening slider all the way to the right and it made a blobing of the color almost honeycomb which is exactly what I had seen when enlarging my images. Went in and sure enough my sharpening was saved way too high!! I am just relieved that is all it was!!

Would you please share the link you were watching when your question was answered?

WM

Yes i see it with my 55-70 Nikon lens as well. Some images are super sharp and some are garbled looking. I am looking at 100%. it does not look like noise to me, and I do not think it is camera shake. Here is my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/123758579@N05/ take a look at trees 1.jpg, it is a little out of focus but the quality at 100% is bad.

Christopher, trees1.jpg is slightly out-of-focus. I don't see any noise. A 100% zoom at 100 ISO on the D7100 will many times show some noise though. I would suggest concentrating on getting your focus tack-sharp and only zoom-in (in post) up to about 66% max. (33% - 60% is ideal) If you need more zoom, use a higher magnification lens. The 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses by Nikon or Tamron are excellent.