Grey Market?

Gobae

One of my friends recently purchased a D5300 bundle from someone who decided not to become a wedding photographer (yea!). What was included in the bundle looks suspiciously like an Amazon bundle that's listed as an "Import Model". What's the easiest way to determine if the d5300 is actually a grey market camera designed for another country other than the US? Secondly, since she bought it off someone else (making her the second owner) is the Nikon warranty good anyway?

Blacktop

One of my friends recently purchased a D5300 bundle from someone who decided not to become a wedding photographer (yea!). What was included in the bundle looks suspiciously like an Amazon bundle that's listed as an "Import Model". What's the easiest way to determine if the d5300 is actually a grey market camera designed for another country other than the US? Secondly, since she bought it off someone else (making her the second owner) is the Nikon warranty good anyway?

There is no such thing as "designed for another country" with Nikon cameras. It's not like the steering wheel is on the right hand side.:)

As for the other question, Nikon warranty is not transferable as far as I know.

One problem with Grey Market is that Nikon will not service it even if you pay them. You have to send it to a private service company or back to the dealer it was bought from. So the warranty does not matter if it is grey market

Fred Kingston

Nikon assigns different ranges of serial numbers to different countries. They use those serial numbers to determine warranty... Those ranges are frequently published on the internet. Google is your friend.