Mill Near Conowingo, MD. Can't decide which one I prefer.

Friggs

I can not decide which one I prefer. Color or black & white. Mill near Conowingo, MD. This was shot with my old Canon XTi. Before I switched back to Nikon. I just re edited them using Lightroom. Canon XTi. Canon 18-55 IS. ISO 100. F11. 1/30 sec. I need to go back and shoot it with my Nikon and compare them.

IMG_0458-2 by William Friggle, on Flickr

IMG_0458-1 by William Friggle, on Flickr

nikonpup

i vote for color - i would like to see the b/w done with lightroom's antique light, it is my choice when i do a vintage shot.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Antique light is very nice, but I think I am still partial to the color version. Either one is very nice even if you corrupted it using a "C" to capture. Ha!

Friggs

Antique light is very nice, but I think I am still partial to the color version. Either one is very nice even if you corrupted it using a "C" to capture. Ha!

Thanks. I didn't even think of posting it on this forum. Woops. It is the last image I took with that C camera. Then I got my D300 and have never regretted it. I used Nikons back in my film days. Tried the C and they are ok, but I prefer my Nikon.

Danno

I like the color one as well. When I do black and white I like using NIK tools. They have a Silver effects pro that I like because it has so many options. Now that NIK is free it is hard to beat and it installs as a plugin for both LR and PS.

Horoscope Fish

Another vote for the color version. I might even punch up the color slightly, maybe warm them a little... When it comes to B&W, though, what I like to see is strong contrast, drama(!) and that's not this shot's strong suit in my opinion.

The duotone/sepia/Antique Light filter doesn't really work for me either and for the same reason.

Fred Kingston

That shot evokes a specific emotion tied to something long gone... The color works fine. The B&W would work better if you removed the power lines... The brain does something when the eye sees things that shouldn't be there...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I like both the B&W as well as the color but not so much with the Antique Light. Something that I don't care for is the halo around the edges of the roof line. It seems to be more apparent in the B&W although it is in all of the images.

I wish we had more mills around here--nice composition.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I guess I'm in the minority, but the B&W looks much better to me. I especially like the way the part snow, part grass looks in the B&W. I think B&W sets the right mood for the shot as well.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

Nice location and nice shot.