Firmware downgrade?

ethandavid

I have a D3300 and up to this morning, used a Sigma 18-50mm lens as my primary. Then I made the decision to update the firmware. My error for not doing enough research first, but now I have a pretty looking 18-55mm paperweight, or at least one that won't autofocus.

Does anybody know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware and where I can find a copy of the original firmware?

JH Foto

Hello and welcome....................:)......Sorry to hear of your problems I am sure an expert will be along shortly..

Fred Kingston

I have a D3300 and up to this morning, used a Sigma 18-50mm lens as my primary. Then I made the decision to update the firmware. My error for not doing enough research first, but now I have a pretty looking 18-55mm paperweight, or at least one that won't autofocus.

Does anybody know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware and where I can find a copy of the original firmware?

If I were you, I'd get on the horn with Sigma's technical support people and start screaming. This isn't the first time this has happened with their lenses and Nikon firmware updates. They've promised fixes for this problem months ago, and haven't done anything... If they try to blow you off by blaming Nikon, tell them that BS doesn't fly because Tamron isn't having the problem.

ethandavid

Thank you, everyone. Sigma told me that I need to send the camera body and lens to them to calibrate, with an about a week turnaround. I found another forum post elsewhere that said that this process worked for someone else. I'm just not looking forward to the withdrawal from not being able to shoot for that long. I went out last night and took some images with the Sigma lens, one of which is below. It works absolutely fine in manual mode, but I do like to use it during daylight hours as well and that's when the autofocus issue would be significant for me.

Oh well. Sounds like I'm sending it to Sigma.

august2nd-3.jpg

MaxBlake

Nice photo.

Please keep us posted on how this works out. I'm curious about Sigma's follow-through, seeing as I have a couple of their lenses. Good luck to you in the meantime, Ethan.

ethandavid

I've filled out their online repair form and will get it over to the post office and sent out later on this afternoon. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

ethandavid

Just an update. Still waiting. I sent in the D3300 and Sigma lens last Wednesday via United States Postal Service. After a delay in getting to Sigma because the postal distribution center sent my package to the wrong town and it had to be sent back and then out again, it got to Sigma on Monday of this week. It wasn't checked in for 24 hours and I waited until yesterday to finally receive an estimate on the cost to fix, which was about $100, $80 for the calibration and $20 for return shipping. I will check in with them again tomorrow to see where things are at.

One thing that I will say for Sigma is that they have been very patient with me inquiring about once a day on the status of my equipment. I rented a D3200 and a 18-55mm f/3.5 kit lens to try to shoot the Perseids and it highlighted how much I'm missing my own camera. I'm confident that the calibration will go as advertised.

I'll update once I have it back.

ethandavid

My equipment is back. Came UPS today. Everything is working normal. Sigma was great to work with. A little slow to get from front desk to checked in, but the actual calibration was smooth and quick. They even seem to have cleaned it.

I'm very pleased with Sigma's customer service. The United States Postal Service, not so much, but it got there eventually and safely.

Thanks everyone for your input and hanging in with this process.

Needa

Challenge Team
Sigma told me that I need to send the camera body and lens to them to calibrate, with an about a week turnaround. I found another forum post elsewhere that said that this process worked for someone else.

This makes me wonder if they calibrated the lens to the camera or if they just wanted to verify correct operation. Did you get any feedback as to what was actually done?