hey from Oakville, ON

deafguy87

Hey everybody

I'm from Oakville, Ontario and I'm a total newbie to photography

I will be asking soon for my first camera purchase... recommendation on where I can post a thread for that?

Roy1961

Contributor
hello and welcome, bro in law lives in Oakville.

First questions everyone will want to know, how much do you want us to spend for you.

What will be your main interests in shooting, FX or DX?

deafguy87

Oh that's cool ... I assumed you live in GTA?

I want to do landscape, street/building, macro and night (like light up buildings or streets)

In the future, I would like to sell prints but obviously I'm not ready for that yet lol

I want to say I'm flexible because I can buy a high end camera but don't think, which I'm sure most people here probably don't recommend high end camera to a newbie lol... but I don't think I want a pure entry camera like d3300 because if I grow out of it too quickly and have to upgrade in a short time then overall financially it not a great idea, I think

Also I just recently found out that they stopped making D3300 and bringing out their successor this summer called D3500

I don't know which format is best for me

I don't know what camera is suitable for me since I'm quite a newbie to photography but I have a camera but it my dad. It a FED O3D-5, a russian camera

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Welcome to the forum. The camera is not the only expense as lenses are a key to good results also and they can cost a little bit also. Ha!

Danno

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have quite the adventure ahead of you, but it is a good time, and people are willing to help, but @Roy1961 is right. You need a handle on how much you are able to spend.

MaxBlake

Greetings from Oregon; welcome to the forum. As mentioned, your budget will determine your purchases, and lenses need to be a large part of the equation. If money is no object, then get buying and have some fun. :) If it is, well, be sure to read the accounts of folks who own the cameras you are most interested in; much can be learned. Online comparisons are also helpful at times.

Osantacruz

Also be aware Photokina is next month. They'll probably announce a new version of d3xxx and d7xxx so either you'll find the newest version to have features you want or you can get the current model for less with people selling them to pay for a newer model (also the price of new ones will drop too if you prefer not used)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

D7200john

Buy a used camera until you figure it out what you need, that way your not spending a fortune.

Save for the best glass you can afford to buy.

deafguy87

I'm thinking of $1000 canadian or maybe more if it worth it ... seems like D5300, D90, D7100 and D7200 fit the criteria

never heard of photokina... some sort of comic con version of cameras and the likes? lol

Osantacruz

I'm thinking of $1000 canadian or maybe more if it worth it ... seems like D5300, D90, D7100 and D7200 fit the criteria

never heard of photokina... some sort of comic con version of cameras and the likes? lol
Pretty much. It's the trade show where all the companies announce new stuff.

deafguy87

Can't remember what it was last time. Maybe $100-200 US? Used ones even more.

is that worth waiting for 2 months for photokina announcing possible news about new version of the cameras but it doesn't mean it coming out to the public to buy them. It could be mean next year to be release to the public

Osantacruz

is that worth waiting for 2 months for photokina announcing possible news about new version of the cameras but it doesn't mean it coming out to the public to buy them. It could be mean next year to be release to the public
That's up to you. Depends how much of a rush you're in. Just letting you know so you wouldn't get blind sided by a new body announcement soon after purchasing one