D3300 VR vs NVR

Ilektra

Hello,
I am a photography newbie and want to buy a D3300. I have found 2 options in the market:
- Nikon D3300 AF-P 18-55mm VR
- Nikon D3300 AF-P 18-55mm NVR (which is cheaper)
The thing is that I don't know how important the VR is and if it's worth the extra money. :confused:

Fred Kingston

I don't think VR is worth the difference at that focal length... 55mm is relatively short for VR to make much of a difference. By the time you learn the fundamentals of good hand held shooting and exposure, you won't notice whether you have it or not.

aroy

Actually I have seen that VR helps newbies, as in most cases their hands are rarely rock steady initially, though not having VR will teach you how to hold the camera steady. I would suggest getting the VR lens and try out shooting at low speeds with and without VR to gauge its utility.

Bob Blaylock

Actually I have seen that VR helps newbies, as in most cases their hands are rarely rock steady initially, though not having VR will teach you how to hold the camera steady. I would suggest getting the VR lens and try out shooting at low speeds with and without VR to gauge its utility.

I seem to be occasionally capable of feats of exceptional rock-steadiness in holding my camera. VR certainly helps, though. I don't know, for example, if I would have been able to take this picture without it; most people certainly couldn't.

DSC_3017zn.jpg

This was at a church Halloween party last year. The exposure time was 1.6 seconds. No tripod. I was not leaning myself nor my camera on any other object to steady it. I was standing, in a fairly normal stance. You can see that people and a few objects in the shot were moving, and were blurred as a result, but the static objects in the shot are not blurred noticeably.

Then, there was this shot, from a few days ago, one of a dozen candidates I am considering to enter in the current Weekly Challenge.

ZSC_9754n.jpg

Exposure time, one second, even. The image looks deceptively like it is very brightly lit. Actually, the scene was very dark. Again, just me standing in a normal stance, no tripod, no other support. I don't know if I could have made this shot without VR.

Last edited: