Is 50mm 1.8D or 1.8G worth upgrading to from Manual 50mm 1.8?

js1983

Good afternoon all! I currently have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Series E on my D3100. I love the results I'm getting with it while shooting in Manual Mode and having to adjust exposure, ISO, etc. It's also a great way for me to learn more about lenses, the camera, and photography in general.

I'm currently pondering swapping out for the 50mm 1.8D or the 1.8G, but my question to you all is: Is the image quality and metering worth the price of paying for one of these lenses? I don't mind the manual focus I'd encounter with the 1.8D, and I'll be eventually upgrading my D3100, so AF-S isn't necessarily a concern. I only paid ~$25 for the 50mm 1.8 manual, and budget isn't really a concern for me, but if I can avoid spending $100-200 and be happy with the trade off, that'd be great.

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Jeff

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'd say if you're happy with the 1.8D there's really no reason to spend the money for the G. Not to mention, if you upgrade to a camera with a focus motor in the body you'll get AF on the D.

fotojack

I have the 50 Series E also, and I wouldn't waste the money on the others. If you don't have any problems focusing in manual, why would you bother really? Save your money for when you upgrade your camera.