whats going on in my photos

OldSoul

Just returned from a trip to Europe, Germany and Switzerland I started to go through my photos taken with the D7200 with 18-140 kit lens I am noticing the left and right side of my photos are out of focus and I am not sure why, can anyone shed some light on this, the photos should have EXIF data attached. Can _DSC8879.jpg
this be fixed using the 18-140 lens profile correction setting in LR/Photoshop? Does the slight vignetting have something to do with it?

Last edited:

480sparky

Looks like you have an element that's not aligned. There's nothing that can be done in post to correct it.... this is a mechanical issue. It needs to be sent to a repair facility.

I don't think that diagnosis is correct ..usually if an element moves you get de centering not out of focus on each side .
Why did you choose to shoot at F5.6 ?? where the edge definition is worst. ???? I use my 18-140s at F8
If this was JPEG did you have the sharpness at +9 ??? and did you get the fine focus adjust spot on.
Much of the blurr looks like Bokeh and on the left minimal depth of field ....
These three things can add to give a problem like this.

Forget using RAW (if you did ) until you can get a sharp picture in JPEG
Check all and re test at F8/+9 FFA

Last edited:

aroy

Most lenses are not flat plane, so there is always some curvature, which leads to edges of flat scenes out of focus. There is also a problem of softness and larger distortion at the widest aperture, which slowly reduces as the F stop is increased. As suggested stop down to F/8 if you want reasonable sharpness edge to edge.

There is nothing wrong in shooting RAW, if at all you can apply a lot more corrections (including sharpening) in PP.

Jim Shea

I was shooting in aperture priority so the f-stop changed as I zoomed. I did notice on other photos I took when I was at 50mm range there is no out of focus on the edges. If you look in the black and white forum under german switzerland train stations you will see no out of focus. Most of those were around 50mm. I can see I still have alot to learn.
Thank for you responses, I appreciate it.

Quote..
I was shooting in aperture priority so the f-stop changed as I zoomed....

Well yes and no ...If your aperture priority was set at below f5.6 then yes ,as you approached 140mm then it would go up to 5.6 .
if your setting had been F8 then you would have had f8 at all focal lengths..
If you shoot RAW ( waste of time in my opinion) then try RAW on one card and JPEG large basic at +9 on the other and examine the JPEG carefully on the computer as you try various settings

At least you saved a trip for the lens to Nikon !!!

OldSoul

Fat Fingers befor I started the day I zoomed out and set fstop to 3.5 you are correct the fstop changes as I zoom. What I didn't know was how much, now I do, thank you. Yes no trip to Nikon for this I am thankful, thank you to all who have responded to my question. Raw + JPEG is how I have the camera set up.

Horoscope Fish

Fat Fingers befor I started the day I zoomed out and set fstop to 3.5 you are correct the fstop changes as I zoom. ...
The Nikon 18-140mm is a variable aperture zoom lens. The verbiage on the lens barrel, AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR, tells you the widest apertures the lens will shoot at based on focal length. As the focal length INcreases the maximum aperture DEcreases; this is the case with all variable aperture lenses. Constant aperture lenses, by way of comparison, do not exhibit this behavior but they tend to be more expensive.