Is my Nikon d810 defective?

edwardcarlile

Hi there all.

I recently purchased a brand new D810, works like a charm but when I would like to do any on camera edits (d-lighting for instance or cropping) then the display panel at the back shows the image with a yellow crossed out square onverlaid on the image.the error message on the back is "cannot select this file"
(see attachment)
None of the images have been locked by me.
I have taken an SD card fresh from packaging and formatted in the camera, taken a shot and still get this issue.
" " " " CF ' ' " " "
The firmware is current.

I have reset the camera to factory settings and still this issue.

The camera works fine apart from this.

Attachments

• 20160722_110131.jpg
    20160722_110131.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 136

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites. I wonder if, by any chance, you were shooting jpegs instead of RAW? It's something that I'd check before contacting Nikon. It may be that some editing is not available from jpeg files if you did shoot jpeg only.

I hope that you find the culprit, and when you do, please don't forget to share the solution with us.

nickt

I took a quick look in the manual. It says 'small nef' files cannot be edited. Apparently large nef and jpg can. So check if you are shooting small nef's. I don't have the 810, so I'm not familiar, but it looks like a 2 button reset only resets the currently selected bank of settings, so maybe a reset might miss clearing this. Never touched a d810, so I'm just going by a quick look in the book. good luck.