Moose! Pushing the D7100 and 200-500mm to the limit.....

Elliot87

and probably beyond it!

A fantastic evening spent in and around Tivendens National Park, Sweden on a "Moose Safari". After a walk with our guide to see Black and Red Throated Loons/divers we went to his camp in the forest for a campfire meal, a few drinks and an informal presentation on moose in Sweden. A short walk after dinner through the woods and marsh to a secluded pond revealed plenty of moose signs but not the beast itself. A first for me though was delicious the cloudberries we found along the way.
We then went for a drive to see if we would have more luck from the road, thankfully did. An initial distant sighting of a bull moose was followed by two yearlings crossing the track in front of us. Finally as the light was fading we got our best view of the evening, this bull moose was standing in a clear fell area very close to the road.

This shot was taken at the D7100's max native iso 6400 and 1/15sec at an equivalent focal length of 750mm! Considering this is a million miles from the ideal settings I'm extremely happy with the result. The VR on this lens is exceptional, the only support I had was resting the lens through the cars open window but with no beanbag.

DSC_5323.jpg