Interval timer problem

Bigcolino

I don't know why but everytime I set the number of shots I want to take, it stops after a lot less shots. Yesterday, I decided to check what was happening and I noticed that if I set it to 50 shots, after the first shot it goes down to 40, and 30 after that so instead of taking 50 shots it stops after 5. I changed it to 999 to next test and same thing...989, 979, etc...I don't understand.

nickt

Welcome. The usual problem is not enough time, you have to pad the interval a little for processing the photo. Up to double if its a long exposure with noise reduction on. The interval time must include the exposure time plus some padding. In other words, the timer counts through the intervals as set up with no regard for exposure time. It doesn't care if the camera is ready to take a picture or not, it just keeps counting. If the exposure + processing uses too much time and the camera is not ready to take a picture, that interval is skipped. For example if your interval is 1 second and your shutter speed is 1 second, you will probably miss half your shots. You need a 2 second interval or speed the shutter up so its all done saving the picture before the next interval starts.

nickt

Yes. 21 might even do it. BUT... if you have long exposure noise reduction turned on, anything over 1 second will take double the time to process. So a 20 second exposure could take 40 seconds plus a second or two for padding.

WayneF

So if my exposure times are 20 seconds, I have to set 22-25 seconds intervals ?

21 seconds might do it...

We think of the shutter speeds as they are marked, as 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30 seconds.
However, they actually must be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 seconds (each stop is 2x).

This means that the marked 20 seconds is actually necessarily 20.159 seconds. 20 second intervals will not be sufficient. Same is true of 10 seconds, timer needs 11 seconds.

You can time the 30 second setting yourself, and you will see that it is actually 32 seconds. Interval timer will need 33 second intervals then.

See the chart at Charts of camera Nominal and Exact Precise Shutter speed, f/stop and ISO values

Last edited: