Dual SD Speed

Gobae

Does anyone know if there's any appreciable speed difference if you choose to duplicate or split jpg/raw files vs setting the dual slots as overflow? Basically I'm wondering if using the 2 slots concurrently is slower than using them sequentially.

Thanks!

The main thing is to get FAST SD cards to start with. Most cards are rated with just the read speed listed. I had that problem with my D750. The cards were rated at 90MB/s but the write speed was something like 40MB/s I had to look hard to find one that was listed for both.

I ended up going with this one

SanDisk32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory Card (Class 10)

Read Speed 95 MB/s Maximum
Write Speed 90 MB/s Maximum

Really gave me the speed that camera is rated for. Setting on JPEG fine for testing before I could only shoot about 40 shots before it slowed down. With the upgrade cards I can get 100 shots off

Here is an interesting chart that should help you. This was for my D750 but the speed difference should be the same for you.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d750/fastest-sd-card-speed-tests/

Found the one for the D7200
Nikon D7200 SD Card Comparison Fastest Write Speed Tests for D7200 Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
As Don mentioned, different cards write at differing speeds. If you are shooting RAW and continuous, it may slow things down. I tend to shoot RAW+jpeg Fine so I can more easily view the jpegs on my computer. RAW images load more slowly on my PC. If you don't want to take chances on losing anything, use the second slot for something rather than overflow. Carry extra cards instead of going to overflow.