Church Formals & Lighting

StephMiller

Greetings!

I hope I'm posting this question/topic in the right section! I'm working on my lighting and am starting to get into gels. Here's my question:

In older, heavily-marbled churches, when I do church formals with my flash, I am getting a very orange-y background behind the couple/group. Is there a gel or some other fix for this?
Equipment Used: D300s, SB-900, sometimes 2 (depending on time!) and Auto WB .. usually my 24mm lens, though I don't know if that matters.

I haven't had enough opportunity to "play" around in the situation to see if I can do something in camera, so I thought in the mean time I would turn to you all!

Happy Shooting :)
Steph

Mestre

I'd try to change the WB, sometimes the Auto WB get's confused. Try the shadow or the tugsten WB and see the results.

Browncoat

WB adjustments will only take you so far. Churches are notoriously dimly lit (with tungsten lighting in most cases). When you use flash, the parts of your scene that are lit by the flash will make non-lit areas seem just that much more orange. That's a problem you can't fix with post processing, no matter how good you are.

Get a CTO gel. CTO=Color Temperature Orange. That will solve your problem.

Since you're already out shopping, also get a Window Green gel, which addresses the same issue you run into with fluorescent lighting.