To 400 ASA or not?

Borga Voffe

This photo were taken yesterday. It was heavy overcast, very windy, cold, and at midday (two o clock) I had to shoot without tripod. How good is 7200 at ASA 400, should I have tried a lower speed?

AKR_2553anka.jpg

paul04

Like you said it was a windy day, so if you lower the SS the shot might end up being blurred (as the subject moves in the wind)

The D7200 is very good with ISO

mikew_RIP

You are far better raising the ISO to keep a fast enough shutter speed than risking a blurred image,the D7200 isnt even thinking about breaking into a sweat at 400 :D,run a few images at 1600 but make sure you expose correctly and you will start to gain confidence in its ability.

Lawrence

You can pump that machine to full throttle baby - it is way better than the D7100 (what I have) and that is good to 6400

On the other hand i am happy to consider a straight swap :)

SteveH

What the others have said! I regularly push my 7100 up to ISO 3200. The trick is good noise reduction in Post processing - Have a play with Nik tools (Now free - Requires Photoshop or LR) which has a tool called DFine for noise reduction.

Danno

The D7200 can easily handle higher ISO. It gives you a nice advantage to keep the shutter speed up when it is windy.

aroy

Higher ISO, even 3200 is fine if you do not have to recover any shadow. If the background is dark, then there will be visible noise, but that can be taken care of by any PP that can do selective NR on background (by masking the foreground out).

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Have a play with Nik tools (Now free - Requires Photoshop or LR) which has a tool called DFine for noise reduction.

FYI: Actually NIK tools can be run as stand alone. I know because that's how I use it. I don't have PS or LR.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
What ryan20fun said or right click on the photo and then Open with> find Dfine APP or any other NIK tool APP is another option

Borga Voffe

AKR_3012dawn.jpg

Another obscure Norwegian mountain photo at ASA 400 :)
This is last night at 22hours, just before dawn. About 980 m asl.

Reminding me of the fantastic gift offered by the mountain farmer,
he had just moved up here with his cows for this summer.

Sour cream! Made in the real old ways just here at the mountain cottage where he stayed. Expensive! They would soon start to sell it.
I was so overwelmed when the farmers just gave me a big jar of it!

Last edited:

ryan20fun

View attachment 219422

Another obscure Norwegian mountain photo at ASA 400 :)
This is last night at 22hours, just before dawn. About 980 m asl.

Reminding me of the fantastic gift offered by the mountain farmer,
he had just moved up here with his cows for this summer.

Sour cream! Made in the real old ways just here at the mountain cottage where he stayed. Expensive! They would soon start to sell it.
I was so overwelmed when the farmers just gave me a big jar of it!
Nice, I would prefere to see a little more sky.

Horoscope Fish

Ouch. Thats sheer magic! I havent learnt Photoshop enough to fix my shots like this.
I promise, no magic required... All I did was use the WB Tool in Camera Raw; a super-simple, one-click fix.
WB Tool.jpg
With the WB Tool active, find something in the shot that has neutral color (something very, very light grey is ideal). In this case the snow on the mountains in the background provided a near perfect target. With one click on a snowy spot the overall White Balance was changed to what you see in my example. I could have tweaked it further, manually, but didn't really think it necessary.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Can you elaborate on how to use NIK as a stand alone program. Even I don't have PS & LR.

I take it you're on Windows.
When you download and install Nik Tools, it will go into your "program files" under Google-Nik Collection.

You can click on any of the programs (color fx pro, silver fx pro, Dfine and so on) to open up ewhich ever program you need..