Tried Macro with the D500 and the 105mm Nikon Micro Lens

leeinla

I am really impressed with this camera. The camera and the lens are a bit heavy but you get great pics. I am on the fence on whether to purchase the D500 or the D7200. The menu system can be intimating on the D500. How do you guys setup the F1 button and F2 button for Macro and Birding photography? I do have a question about lenses. I plan to go for the Sigma 105 Macro lens, do I need to purchase a teleconverter from Nikon or Sigma? Here are a few of my photos. I would like to get a little closer. Any suggestions would be great.
descanso0716_flckr-5.jpg
Descanso0716-3.jpgDescanso0716-4.jpg

Whiskeyman

If you want to get closer, get extension tubes in order to allow focusing at smaller distances. If you want to enlarge the subject image upon the sensor, get teleconverters.

WM

nickt

Also, an extension tube will not degrade the image, there is no glass in it. A teleconverter will degrade some. But with the extension tube, you will lose infinity, that is, you won't be able to focus at a distance. So you will be stuck doing macro when the tube is installed.

How close do you want to get? Here is a shot with the Sigma 105 and d7200. Original and two crops of the same shot.

D72_0403-3.jpg

D72_0403-2.jpg

D72_0403.jpg

Blacktop

If you want to get closer, get extension tubes in order to allow focusing at smaller distances. If you want to enlarge the subject image upon the sensor, get teleconverters.

WM

As far as I understand it, a teleconverter will not enlarge the image using a macro lens at its closest focusing distance. It will still only be a 1:1 magnification. It will however give you a longer working distance.

A 60mm macro lens at its closest focusing distance will give the same size image on the sensor as a 150mm macro lens at it's closest focusing distance.
An extension tube, will increase magnification.

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

As far as I understand it, a teleconverter will not enlarge the image using a macro lens at its closest focusing distance. It will still only be a 1:1 magnification. It will however give you a longer working distance.

A 60mm macro lens at its closest focusing distance will give the same size image on the sensor as a 150mm macro lens at it's closest focusing distance.

That may be the case. My post was to point out the basic function of each piece of equipment. It is simplistic, but has served me well in the years since I was taught the difference between the two back in high school photography. As far as using a teleconverter on a macro lens, I've never tried it, but why wouldn't it enlarge the image? Before I tried it, I'd check compatibility with the lens, though.

WM

Whiskeyman

My post was to point out the basic function of each piece of equipment. It is simplistic, but has served me well in the years since I was taught the difference between the two back in high school photography. As far as using a teleconverter on a macro lens, I've never tried it, but why wouldn't it enlarge the image? Before I tried it, I'd check compatibility with the lens, though.

WM

Blacktop

My post was to point out the basic function of each piece of equipment. It is simplistic, but has served me well in the years since I was taught the difference between the two back in high school photography. As far as using a teleconverter on a macro lens, I've never tried it, but why wouldn't it enlarge the image? Before I tried it, I'd check compatibility with the lens, though.

WM

Because a 1:1 macro lens will still only give you 1;1 magnification using a TC. Like I said earlier, a 60 mm macro lens will give a same size image as a 150 mm macro lens. So lets say I put a 1.4TC on my 100mm Tokina to make it essentially a 140 mm FOV. It will not make the image larger at closest focusing distance. What it will give me is a longer minimum focusing distance to get to 1:1

Whiskeyman

Because a 1:1 macro lens will still only give you 1;1 magnification using a TC. Like I said earlier, a 60 mm macro lens will give a same size image as a 150 mm macro lens. So lets say I put a 1.4TC on my 100mm Tokina to make it essentially a 140 mm FOV. It will not make the image larger at closest focusing distance. What it will give me is a longer minimum focusing distance to get to 1:1

Ok, I can see the theoretical merit to what you're saying, but now I'm just going to have to demonstrate it to really believe it. Hopefully I can find a cooperative good subject tomorrow, after I get my yard work finished. (And also that I can move after digging up azaleas in my yard this evening.)

WM

Blacktop

Ok, I can see the theoretical merit to what you're saying, but now I'm just going to have to demonstrate it to really believe it. Hopefully I can find a cooperative good subject tomorrow, after I get my yard work finished. (And also that I can move after digging up azaleas in my yard this evening.)

WM

Just dig up a worm!:)

Blacktop

But I'm gonna take pictures. I'm not going to have time to go fishing!! ;)

Seriously, now that you mention it, I didn't see a single earthworm digging today; the soil is too sandy.

WM

Something was bugging me about my own post earlier, the more I started to think about it.
I said.

Because a 1:1 macro lens will still only give you 1;1 magnification using a TC.

Turns out, I was wrong! I started thinking that if you put a piece of glass (TC) between your camera body and lens, that this will also increase the minimal focusing distance like an extension tube would, giving a greater then 1:1 magnification.
After doing some Googling it turns out that my original answer was wrong. Putting a TC on a Macro lens will in fact increase magnification.
I apologize for steering you wrong. I will now put foot in mouth. :(

Elliot87

Something was bugging me about my own post earlier, the more I started to think about it.
I said.

Turns out, I was wrong! I started thinking that if you put a piece of glass (TC) between your camera body and lens, that this will also increase the minimal focusing distance like an extension tube would, giving a greater then 1:1 magnification.
After doing some Googling it turns out that my original answer was wrong. Putting a TC on a Macro lens will in fact increase magnification.

I'm pleased that you're wrong about this one :) as I was under the impression that using a TC would increase magnification at minimum focusing distance. It is one of the main reasons I want to get the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x TC to try on my 200-500mm. I haven't worked out what magnification that would give me but I hope it will make it even better for close up work and extend how long I can wait to get a longer macro than my 55mm 2.8. Unfortunately I can't see the 55mm listed as compatible on Keno charts as I'd like to try it on that too but I won't risk it.

I imagine the D500 and 105mm macro will be a fantastic macro combination, I'd want to try out it's AF system on something like dragonflies in flight!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I imagine you would need the Sigma teleconverter to go with the Sigma 105mm lens.

If you had the Nikon 105mm lens with one of Nikon's teleconverters, you'd lose AF ability. Not sure about the compatibility of the Sigma lens with one of Sigma's teleconverters. Just a heads up to check out compatibility issues before you buy.

Whiskeyman

I said.

No worries. Thanks for posting this, though I really wish you to keep your foot out of your mouth; it's hard to hold a camera that way!! :)

I'm still going to demonstrate to myself what happens to min focusing distance and image ratios when using a TC. ("In sight, it must be right!" -- Mr. Steak N. Shake) I wasn't able to make it out with my camera this morning due to something that came up last night, and it is beastly uncomfortable outside right now. I may have to go buy some flowers and work on this indoors.

WM

Shoknaw

I don't have the 105 Macro lens so I am forced to use my 200-500 for bug pictures. :)

BNB_1001.jpg

This from about 7 or 8 feet. No crop straight from camera.
This looks somewhat better at full 7.57 file size.

Last edited:

captain birdseye

A 2x converter will give 2;1 magnification on a macro lens at minimum focus distance.
I think it is the minimum focus distance that will remain the same.
An extension tube will give a shorter minimum focus distance and a larger image.