Help with post-processing a RAW file

gustafson

In a recent post, I mentioned my struggles with getting sharp images with my 200 mm f/4 (http://nikonites.com/telephoto/36738-advice-needed-sharp-bird-shots.html#axzz4D2VS649H). I was looking back at the series of photos mentioned in the post, and thought one of the photos was salvageable. However, when I tried to enhance the RAW file using Photos for Mac, it ended up looking smudged like a painting (attached below). It made me wonder if better PP tools and technique could yield superior results. To that end, I've attached a link to the RAW file below. If some of you can run it through your PP workflow and post results, that would be greatly appreciated and edifying. TIA!

Link to RAW file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHUC4c0c9nicnViOTQ0cWZrbFk/view?usp=sharing

My version after PP:
Plover after PP using Photos for Mac by p.g.photo.graphy, on Flickr

Danno

I looked at your shot and processed it a little darker but it looks to me like the rock in front of the bird is in better focus than the bird. I know for me when I reach near the limit of the lens I have more trouble with getting precises focus, especially hand held. Also when I have to crop a lot to get the size I want I loose detail. I think both of those could be playing into this shot, but it could also be the auto Focus requires calibration for this lens on the D7100. It seems to be better focused just in front of the bird, but it is hard to be certain without checking.
DSC_3643.jpg

DSC_3643-Edit-2.jpg

gustafson

I looked at your shot and processed it a little darker but it looks to me like the rock in front of the bird is in better focus than the bird. I know for me when I reach near the limit of the lens I have more trouble with getting precises focus, especially hand held. Also when I have to crop a lot to get the size I want I loose detail. I think both of those could be playing into this shot, but it could also be the auto Focus requires calibration for this lens on the D7100. It seems to be better focused just in front of the bird, but it is hard to be certain without checking.
View attachment 217712

View attachment 217711

Thanks for the input and for taking a crack at the RAW. Others suggested a possible front focus issue as well, but I looked into AF fine tune and it appears that all is OK there. Slow shutter speed was probably the main contributing factor. Appreciate your inputs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

If some of you can run it through your PP workflow and post results, that would be greatly appreciated and edifying. TIA!

Link to RAW file:
I took a very quick crack at this... I'm on my office computer so my tools are limited but here's what I was able to do. I tried using the Motion Blur filter in Ps (which had little effect) and took out a distracting twig. I adjusted the white balance, did some minor noise reduction, adjusted the Levels, cropped it and sharpened it some. It needs more work but really, IMO, there's only so much you're going to be able to do with this shot.
DSC_3643.jpg

gustafson

I took a very quick crack at this... I'm on my office computer so my tools are limited but here's what I was able to do. I tried using the Motion Blur filter in Ps (which had little effect) and took out a distracting twig. I adjusted the white balance, did some minor noise reduction, adjusted the Levels, cropped it and sharpened it some. It needs more work but really, IMO, there's only so much you're going to be able to do with this shot.
View attachment 217732

Appreciate the effort and the details on the changes you made. Both your and Danno's take look better than my effort. It also looks like I may need to upgrade my PP tool / workflow.

Blade Canyon

Keep in mind that the square area around the bird is less than 5% of the total image size. Big lenses and big sensors can only get you so far. I agree with BDH about the heat distortion because of the wavy bokeh.

Danno

You know, you might want to look at the creative cloud system. I was really reluctant to the $10.99 US a month charge, but you know it is very reasonable when you consider that the program is always current and it includes Light Room and Photoshop. I am still learning Photoshop, but I do like Light Room and I have NIK tools that are free plugins that help in both LR and PS.

Something to consider. LR is not to difficult to pick up either.

gustafson

You know, you might want to look at the creative cloud system. I was really reluctant to the $10.99 US a month charge, but you know it is very reasonable when you consider that the program is always current and it includes Light Room and Photoshop. I am still learning Photoshop, but I do like Light Room and I have NIK tools that are free plugins that help in both LR and PS.

Something to consider. LR is not to difficult to pick up either.

Appreciate the heads up. I've been wrestling with the online model and the monthly fee, but helps to hear that it works and is money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danno

The thing is that it is not really online. You down load it to your PC just like a purchased product so it runs just like your other programs. I think about every couple months or so you are asked to log in to validate your subscription (don't hold me to the timeline). I just enter my email and password and it validates and all is good. Updates come about as frequently. Just got a pretty big one in the last week. The other thing is you do not have to be online to use the programs only to sync with the cloud. For me that made me feel better. I live in the sticks and I do not always have the fastest internet... but that does not matter.

gustafson

The thing is that it is not really online. You down load it to your PC just like a purchased product so it runs just like your other programs. I think about every couple months or so you are asked to log in to validate your subscription (don't hold me to the timeline). I just enter my email and password and it validates and all is good. Updates come about as frequently. Just got a pretty big one in the last week. The other thing is you do not have to be online to use the programs only to sync with the cloud. For me that made me feel better. I live in the sticks and I do not always have the fastest internet... but that does not matter.

That is good to know. For some reason, I was under the impression that the photos are edited and stored in the cloud

BackdoorArts

For giggles I decided to try the Shake Reduction option in the Ps Sharpening menu. This edit is just a crop, Shake Reduction and a Levels adjustment layer. There are some artifacts to clean up after the Shake Reduction, but it's not a difficult fix at all and gives you a solid starting point for the rest of the edit. I realize you don't have Ps (or do you?), but it's a cool tool to have when you need it.

Web-Prepared.jpg

Blacktop

My take on it. Toned down the all the overwhelming orange colors, sharpened the bird and the rocks, added a little more clarity to the foreground, added a little exposure to the birds eyes.
Cropped the way I would have my own shot cropped.

DSC_3643-Edit-2.jpg