PCC update problem

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday I updated PCC so I could use some of the new features. Unfortunately I believe I've encountered a bug that I can't seem to fix.

I've made many collage posters over the past few years so am knowledgeable about how to set them up. In the middle of cropping some photos down to 2x2.5 inches, the crop tool crapped out on me. If you've ever cropped a photo smaller, you know the image will rescale itself to the new size. That means once the image is cropped, it will appear smaller in PCC. Well...suddenly in the middle of cropping a bunch of images, one of them failed to size down. When looking at the image size, it lists 2x2.5" but it isn't. When I copy and paste the supposedly cropped image into the collage, it is full size.

I reset all the tools, but that didn't help. I closed out PCC and started it again--didn't help either. Then I shut down my computer to dump the memory, but the problem is still there. And now I won't know if anything I crop in PCC is really accurate.

Does anyone have any ideas to try? I may need to finish what I"m doing in Photoshop Elements. *sigh*

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, now it's making a liar out of me! :loyal: I went back to work on it more, and suddenly it is working properly. I feel like I'm working with a hormonal female. ;)

Now that I reset all the tools, I need to figure out how to set them the way I was using them. :rolleyes:

Horoscope Fish

I have noticed, since updating Photoshop, my Nik collections plugin has disappeared.
It's pretty common to have to reinstall your plug-ins after a version update of Ps or Lr (feature updates are not necessarily version updates). Kinda sucks, but get used to it.

Just reinstall and you'll be good to go.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've come across a different problem since updating both PCC and Bridge. When I edit my photos, I tend to do as much as possible in Camera RAW then I do a few things in PCC before applying a crop. Once I am finished, I either send the file back to Filter→Camera RAW Filter or to Lens Correction to add a vignette.

Since doing the update, something has changed. Instead of the cropped image opening to get the vignette, it opens an uncropped image to apply the vignette. It didn't happen like that before doing this last update. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. :confused:

EDIT: And even when I save the cropped image as a Psd file, closed it out, then reopened it, it still opens the uncropped image when going to apply the vignette. Heck, I even closed out PCC altogether then reopened it and opened the Psd file...still the same problem with it displaying the uncropped image.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I took a few screen shots so you can see what I see while editing. It didn't work this way prior to the last PCC update.

Here is the original NEF opened in Camera RAW.

Camera RAW.jpg

Then I sent the file to PCC and cropped it.

PCC after crop.jpg

Next I opened Lens Correction to apply a vignette. You can see the original size image opened so I heavily applied a light vignette to the edges to make it more visible for you to see.

Lens Correction Vignette.jpg

And lastly I applied the vignette which sent me back to this image:

After Vignette.jpg

As you can see, the vignette isn't being applied to the cropped image...only to the original size. When applying the vignette, it used to open the cropped image, not the full size.

BackdoorArts

There are two places to adjust vignette in ACR. Lens correction is meant correct vignetting produced by the lens optics, so it's no surprise that it goes to the uncropped frame. If it didn't do this before then ACR was operating improperly, IMO. Post-cropping vignette (it's actually labeled that - don't know if that's new) is in the Effects section of ACR/Lr along with the Grain and Dehaze tools.

Carroll

When I edit a raw file in ACR, and then open it in PSCC, crop it, and then choose the ACR filter to be applied to it, it opens *again* in ACR, with the cropped version, allowing me to made additional adjustments. However, not *all* ACR adjustments are available the second time. When I choose to use PSCC's "Lens Correction" filter, it, too, opens with the cropped image. I do have the latest updated PSCC.

However, I never send an altered image back into ACR, nor do I use PSCC's "Lens Correction" filter. I use the Lens Correction in ACR to correct any distortion, during the intial use.

I use Nik's Color Efex Pro 4 (in Free Nik Suite) to vignette to my heart's desire, while in PSCC. (Many other filters available in Color Efex.)

I hope I have not misunderstood what your problem is/was, and that this was of some help. Oz

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There are two places to adjust vignette in ACR. Lens correction is meant correct vignetting produced by the lens optics, so it's no surprise that it goes to the uncropped frame. If it didn't do this before then ACR was operating improperly, IMO. Post-cropping vignette (it's actually labeled that - don't know if that's new) is in the Effects section of ACR/Lr along with the Grain and Dehaze tools.

Fair enough. So I gave it a go. Still have the same problem. I believe in a different thread, I commented about also updating Camera RAW CC which I didn't even know existed. Makes me wonder if the problem lies in that update. I also updated Bridge.

I started with a NEF that was never edited previously, did minimal edits for the purpose of this thread in ACR--then sent it to PCC which shows the following image.

Original with ACR edits.jpg

Then I cropped the image. I chose this particular file for a reason. The crop is definitely off center--I cropped out the bottom and part of the right side.

Cropped in PCC.jpg

Then I went to Filter and opened the image in ACR going to the Effects tab. It still opens a non-cropped image.

Sent back to ACR.jpg

Here is the image with a heavy vignette applied in ACR--did this heavy vignette for the purpose of this thread.

Vignette in Effects.jpg

And here is what I see when going back to PCC. You can see how the vignette affects an image that was cropped off center. Not only is the vignette missing from the bottom of the image, the right side that was partially cropped is left with less vignetting.

After vignette--displaying in PCC.jpg

As I said earlier, I updated Camera RAW CC which I never even heard of previously. Not sure if I can revert to my previous version of Camera RAW without reverting to my previous version of PCC.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When I edit a raw file in ACR, and then open it in PSCC, crop it, and then choose the ACR filter to be applied to it, it opens *again* in ACR, with the cropped version, allowing me to made additional adjustments. However, not *all* ACR adjustments are available the second time. When I choose to use PSCC's "Lens Correction" filter, it, too, opens with the cropped image. I do have the latest updated PSCC.

However, I never send an altered image back into ACR, nor do I use PSCC's "Lens Correction" filter. I use the Lens Correction in ACR to correct any distortion, during the intial use.

I use Nik's Color Efex Pro 4 (in Free Nik Suite) to vignette to my heart's desire, while in PSCC. (Many other filters available in Color Efex.)

I hope I have not misunderstood what your problem is/was, and that this was of some help. Oz

I've always done all the edits except for cropping and vignette first. Once the file is edited, that's when I've gone back to apply the crop and a vignette. Sometimes I save the file as a PSD with the crop applied then once the vignette is applied, I save the file as a PSD with a different name so I can have both files. Even when opening the saved cropped files, when I go to ACR, it still opens the original size file.

It didn't used to work this way. *Sigh*

Carroll

I totally understand the *Sigh*.

I keep a copy of CS6 Extended, to use for features not included in the latest and greatest version. It is available through the CC app. It does not have the latest ACR and newest features, but that is OK with me, because it does have some things I use. Oh, well.

CS6 Extended is available just below your red circle..."Find additional Apps".

BackdoorArts

When you crop is the box checked for Delete Cropped Pixels? If not then the entire image still exists, so when you evoke ACR as a filter on the existing layer, not as when you first open, so it's likely sending the hidden cropped pixels to the program. If you do your crop in actual ACR on the way into Ps then the crop will likely stay cropped.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When you crop is the box checked for Delete Cropped Pixels? If not then the entire image still exists, so when you evoke ACR as a filter on the existing layer, not as when you first open, so it's likely sending the hidden cropped pixels to the program. If you do your crop in actual ACR on the way into Ps then the crop will likely stay cropped.

Thank you for this info, Jake, but I need to ask where to find the option to delete the cropped pixels. I looked at all the options circled in red. If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate the help.

crop image.jpg

BackdoorArts

For me the two on the right are check boxes for Delete Cropped Pixels and Content Aware Crop. I'm on 2015.5, so we should be the same, though I'm on a Mac. Hover over the one that looks like a Crop tool icon with something in the corner and see what it says. I suspect you need to click on that.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
For me the two on the right are check boxes for Delete Cropped Pixels and Content Aware Crop. I'm on 2015.5, so we should be the same, though I'm on a Mac. Hover over the one that looks like a Crop tool icon with something in the corner and see what it says. I suspect you need to click on that.

YEA!!! :applouse: That worked! It was under the wheel icon. I unchecked the box that says, Show Cropped Area. I've never had to change the default setting in the past. Thank you so much, Jake. I owe you a drink...or two or three! :very_drunk:

SOLUTION.jpg

BackdoorArts

While I may have fixed your issue it's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about these check boxes, which may or may not be analogous to the icons on your screen shot. Whether or not I have Show Cropped Area checked it makes no difference when I invoke the Camera Raw Filter. What matters is whether or not Delete Cropped Pixels is checked.

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 7.46.40 AM.jpg

It may just be the difference between the PC and Mac versions, but I can't find a way to make these turn into icons and mine displays in the format I've seen in all videos with cropping in the tutorials.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
While I may have fixed your issue it's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about these check boxes, which may or may not be analogous to the icons on your screen shot. Whether or not I have Show Cropped Area checked it makes no difference when I invoke the Camera Raw Filter. What matters is whether or not Delete Cropped Pixels is checked.

It may just be the difference between the PC and Mac versions, but I can't find a way to make these turn into icons and mine displays in the format I've seen in all videos with cropping in the tutorials.

Coincidentally I went back to look at the crop feature earlier this morning and found out that what I selected really wasn't working the way I remember the crop tool working in the past.

As you can see in my image below, I don't have the options on the tool bar that you do. Whether it is a Windows vs. Mac thing or whether PCC didn't install quite right is the question. And I'm beginning to think it is the latter.

The crop tool icon with the trash can didn't do anything the other day. At that time, I enabled it and went to add the vignette, but it opened the full size image. Then I disabled it and it wound up doing the same thing. Yet this morning when enabling it, it worked the way I remember--when going to add a vignette, it opened the cropped image.

So I need to start looking at a new computer. This one has a few things that need fixing: can't close the lid because the display cuts out, the hard drive was separated into 2 partitions when ASUS talked me through a hard motherboard reset, and a few glitches like I've been encountered with PCC and other software. Most likely the glitches are caused by some type of registry error.

In any case, enabling the crop tool with the trash can finally worked correctly and has resolved the issue. Thanks again, Jake! ;)

handbell crop.jpg