Help -- 4 of 10 *video* files (shot with Nikon d 5300) on new SD Card "unreadable"

williamjbrown

Help -- 4 of 10 *video* files (shot with Nikon d 5300) on new SD Card "unreadable"

Hi there...

I shot HD video with my normally very trusty Nikon d5300 of my children's play at The Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank 10 days ago.

Approaching intermission of the 2nd show that day, I noticed I was running low on SD Card disc space. I literally ran to a local Rite-Aid Pharmacy and bought a new 32 GB SD Card, returned to the theatre, inserted the card, and was barely ready as "Act 2" began.

I shot 10 scenes over the next 35 minutes; later, I successfully imported 6 of these large files -- however, four of the files (not the last four, interestingly) were "unreadable" and could not be accessed due to "disc error" on the SD Card.

Through Windows Explorer (Windows 7), I can "see" these files on the SD Card -- they are large video files of different sizes, characteristic of typical video files. However, I cannot transfer these or access them for playback. They have become "corrupted".

To the community: Surely, other users have experienced this. There is a BLOATLOAD of Google Search returns for "free" and "not-so-free" software tools that claim that they can "restore corrupted photo and video files from SD Cards", but it seems a sketchy area of the software marketplace, and of course, I cannot find any reputable authority to say "THIS (or THAT) works!".

Please help.

1) Are these files potentially recoverable, based on what I've described here? (Please contact me if you require more info)

2) Can I do it "myself"?

3) What do you recommend?

Thank you very much.

WayneF

Re: Help -- 4 of 10 *video* files (shot with Nikon d 5300) on new SD Card "unreadable

My own experience is that "corrupt file" problems are instead card reader problems. Or something about the USB interface, but not the card, in my experience. Before you go too far, try another card reader first. Or sometimes simply another try works (but I would still consider the first reader suspect). The files probably work OK.

480sparky

Re: Help -- 4 of 10 *video* files (shot with Nikon d 5300) on new SD Card "unreadable

Plug the camera directly into your computer and see if you can download the files directly off the card.

allend

I had success recovering pics off of a card that was displaying damaged or corrupt file using "CardRecovery" I think by WinRecovery software.

Worked well, was able to save shots from a Colorado trip, and went back to safely using second SD card for duplicates...

williamjbrown

Unfortunately, I cannot view the video for these 4 clips when the card is inserted into the d 5300, either (using the "Playback" mode). They appear to be just as inaccessible as they are when the card is inserted into the computer SD card reader :(

williamjbrown

Did this work with VIDEO files or just PIC files?

In looking around the web and speaking with data recovery "experts" (who want $275/hour!), they have told me that these files are different than regular photo files, requiring an almost "bit by bit reconstruction".

I don't wish to purchase this software if it won't actually work with video files.

williamjbrown

Thanks, WayneF.

Unfortunately, it does appear to be the SD card or the specific instance that these 4 video files were corrupted (the other six are accessible and work perfectly).

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

allend

Sorry, don't have answer for your question...

It worked fine with the photo files. And one thought is that it may be recovering any form of file, doesn't care re: photo or video.

But I'm not sure.