Photo numbering reset

Nineball

I recently sent my camera in for repair, and when I got it back, the photo numbering system had been reset to start over at 0001. I did not notice this until quite a few photos were taken. I managed to renumber them on my computer, but now I want to reset the counter on my camera to start at a higher number, to avoid duplicates. I have tried everything I can think of. Any help?

Horoscope Fish

I recently sent my camera in for repair, and when I got it back, the photo numbering system had been reset to start over at 0001. I did not notice this until quite a few photos were taken. I managed to renumber them on my computer, but now I want to reset the counter on my camera to start at a higher number, to avoid duplicates. I have tried everything I can think of. Any help?
You can't change where the camera-body is in the file-numbering sequence mid-stream; that's... Just not an option.

nickt

I'm not sure if this will work, but try taking a picture and with your computer, renumber it to the number you want. Be sure file numbering sequence is set to ON and try taking another picture.
It might work or it might not recognize the file as the real deal and just ignore it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The cameras start over at 9999 so I started automatically renumbering all my photo when I transfer them to Lightroom. I use the date and sequence for the day starting at 0001 each day so my numbers look like this 06-20-2016_0001 This way when I see a file I know the date and what part of the shoot/day it was shot on. Works fine for me.

Fred Kingston

NickT is correct...

Take a picture, and let the camera number it...
remove the card, and rename the image from the previous step to 1 number less than where you want the camera to begine.
Insert the card, and take pictures...

i.e....

Assume you want to begin the number sequence at 4000

rename the last/highest image DSC_3999.NEF
the next image will be numbered DSC_4000.NEF

Be sure the reset numbers menu option is set to ON as indicated in the link that Cindy posted.

paul04

The cameras start over at 9999 so I started automatically renumbering all my photo when I transfer them to Lightroom. I use the date and sequence for the day starting at 0001 each day so my numbers look like this 06-20-2016_0001 This way when I see a file I know the date and what part of the shoot/day it was shot on. Works fine for me.

I've done the same.