Hi

Vlad

Hi, folks.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. After a long wait and equipment consideration (and spending tons of time on Canon forums) i finally got my Nikon dSLR (Ironically, LOL).

I started with D7000, AF-s DX 35 f/1.8G and SB-400. I also got a used Bogen 3221 in mint condition oh, and ML-L3 remote. I ordered some books (still waiting for delivery). So for a start I should be all set, right? Back in 80s I was quite an advanced with 35mm and dark room equipment/techniques. But with stepping into digital world I need to start from scratch.

Can I ask your opinion on:
  1. Should I use a protective filter on such good lens and if “yes”, which would be the best?
  2. I’m planning to shoot in JPEG for now. Anyone can suggest would be an appropriated workflow for me? I have PS Elements 6 for now but I’m planning to order Adobe Lightroom soon. What else I need from software?
  3. Please suggest any links/websites I should start looking at.
I hope to jump on board in no time.

Thanks,
Vlad

Peekcha

Hi, folks.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. After a long wait and equipment consideration (and spending tons of time on Canon forums) i finally got my Nikon dSLR (Ironically, LOL).

I started with D7000, AF-s DX 35 f/1.8G and SB-400. I also got a used Bogen 3221 in mint condition oh, and ML-L3 remote. I ordered some books (still waiting for delivery). So for a start I should be all set, right? Back in 80s I was quite an advanced with 35mm and dark room equipment/techniques. But with stepping into digital world I need to start from scratch.

Can I ask your opinion on:
  1. Should I use a protective filter on such good lens and if “yes”, which would be the best?
  2. I’m planning to shoot in JPEG for now. Anyone can suggest would be an appropriated workflow for me? I have PS Elements 6 for now but I’m planning to order Adobe Lightroom soon. What else I need from software?
  3. Please suggest any links/websites I should start looking at.
I hope to jump on board in no time.

Thanks,
Vlad

Welcome!!!

1. For the filter I would get a UV filter at least. Maybe a CPL and an ND.

2. For software you seem to be set for now but than again it depends what you want to achieve.

What do you take pictures of?

TeddyBear

hi. I think you probably need lens with more zoom, if you are like me who likes to take outdoor photos (birds, insects, flowers...etc). Try to get good quality UV filter to protect your lens at least. Look into Hoya, Nikon, B+W (After extensive research I bought B+W clear UV filter 67mm). After that, you can add polarize filter...etc depending on pictures you take. Also, you can find tons of info on youtube.com

Berkerk

Welcome to a great community.

1. Personally I think UV filters are a waste of time on a digital camera (they were originally used in the film days to protect against UV damage to the film itself), you'd be better off with just a protector (Hoya HD are good at a reasonable price, B+W are better but expensive) if you're concerned about damage to your lens. Just remember that anything you put in front of your lens is going to effect the image, although you may or may not even notice it!

Haze, Circular Polarising, ND filters etc are probably a waste of time on a portrait lens like the 35mm, unless you're planning to use it outside a lot and even then I'm not sure how often you'd use them. They're far more useful on wide angle lenses when shooting landscapes.

2. If you are planning to do a lot of PP in PS then RAW would be a better option as you have more flexibility in your editing, especially if you are considering Lightroom.

You might also want to have a look at Elements 10, the cataloguing has been improved and it's a lot cheaper than Lightroom (unless you're in Education - big discounts).

Not sure if Camera RAW works in Elements or just PS but is much like Lightroom.

3. Adobe TV has great resources for learning Lightroom (mainly videos), there's also Lynda.com but I've not used them.

Hope I've been of some help with my opinions.

Mike150

The others pretty much covered lenses and filters, so all I can suggest is that if you have disk space, shoot Raw+Jpg. You can have the instant gratification from Jpg, but you're going to find that there will be a number of shots that you will wish you had the RAW data later when you do get lightroom.

Vlad

Wow, so many replies in such short time! Thanks!!! Just had an opportunity to use my new camera for the first time during my lunch. Will analyze pictures on PC, when I’ll get home. Firs impression is really awesome!

Here are my thoughts (at least while I was considering shopping for a new camera):
  1. Keep cost down (reasonable), no $1k+ lenses in the nearest future.
  2. At this point I do not know what I’ll be taking pictures of, as with P&S camera(s) I have been using for the past 6 years, I mostly took pictures my family and kids, some travel/vacation stuff – nothing “hobby” related. But with such capable camera like D7000, I might get involved in something else.
  3. I’ve chosen 35mm as my first lens, considering that I’ll be taking pictures of my family (indoors/outdoors) and some street photography during my lunch walk. At least this will be a beginning….
  4. #3 was the reason for choosing SB-400 over SB-700 – I do not foresee I need a power flash in the next several months and bounced low-powered flash with 800 ISO and F/1.8 should be OK for now.
  5. I also got an offer today from friend of mine to get his 18-200mm DX ED VR (original 2006) for $300. I might go for that.
  6. The D7000 is so advance camera, it will take me some time to learn the camera setting and technics. Before I master camera itself I do not want to use RAW and PP. I think if I’ll keep 1 out of 100 shots after basic cropping – I’ll be happy camper for now.
  7. I have 4GB Extreme III – and until Thanksgiving it will be my only card.
Thanks for an advice on filters. I’ll look for B+W protective filter.

Cheers, Vlad

stevecon

Hi Vlad - I had a lengthy reply with links - but it was rejected because of too many links. It's pretty frustrating to go through all that to be helpful only to be rejected. Oh well, you'll find them. Anyway - check out the Tamron 18mm - 270mm telezoom for about $500. The B003 is for the Nikon bodies with a built in focus motor like our D7000 and the B008 is for Nikons without that motor. I like mine a great deal, and highly recommend it.

Good luck!