Price Range Question.

FoxRacer2

So I got an offer to be the photographer for a recruiting day at an air base for the army national gaurd. Basically they want me to take pictures of them meeting with people interested in the army, and them doing practice field excercises and such.

Its a 7 hour event, and there asking me a price range, I've never charged before, as I am just starting out doing this as a side job. so I was curious what's a reasonable price, as this will be my second paid gig if I get the job. I was curious to see if I should charge a flat rate for the whole event, or do an hourly pay. It will just be me working the event, I may hire a friend to help me shoot, but I will pay him on the side.

Im working on getting more details of what they want picture wise and such. Thanks guys.

Browncoat

One thing I can say from previous experience in working with the military is don't overcharge because they WILL shop around. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking just because this is the government, that they do not have budget concerns. That is not true.

You need to charge a fair price for the quality of work you can deliver. I know exactly how much I would charge for something like this, but my experience is different and I'm in a different geographical and economic area. Do not give a price range, give a fixed price, or I guarantee you'll be underpaid. Surely there is a number floating around in your head, so just go with your instincts and make the quote.

FoxRacer2

One thing I can say from previous experience in working with the military is don't overcharge because they WILL shop around. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking just because this is the government, that they do not have budget concerns. That is not true.

You need to charge a fair price for the quality of work you can deliver. I know exactly how much I would charge for something like this, but my experience is different and I'm in a different geographical and economic area. Do not give a price range, give a fixed price, or I guarantee you'll be underpaid. Surely there is a number floating around in your head, so just go with your instincts and make the quote.

Thanks anthony for the insight! im gonna go with my gut instict and say its negotiable if necessary.

FoxRacer2

So, went with my gut instict and they said that it was a perfect price, it was a lot lower than what the guy charged before, which makes me happy. Now just waiting to see if they will select me! Im super stoked, hoping I get this gig! Then I can put a down payment towards my new camera :)

FoxRacer2

Got the gig, im super stoked for it, will truly put my skills to the test, now just gotta gather up some lenses and ill be good to Go! and they said my price was perfect so im super happy!