Tips on taking video with Nikon 1, video whilst driving / sunny conditions

Marker

Hi guys, I'm heading on a trip to Arkansas, and will be driving through scenic routes. I want to use my 1 S1 mounted on the tripod, which will be just behind the 2nd row of my Hyundai Tiburon. I've tested it out - holds pretty steady. However, the scenery mostly gets drowned out by the intensity of the sunlight.

I haven't played around much with the video settings, but if someone can give me any pointers on using an S1 system (or on any other camera in general, for that matter) for video, that would be awesome! What do you guys think or suggest doing?

P.S. I will upload a screenshot soon of what I am specifically talking about, to be clear on my problem (no pun intended).

Osantacruz

I haven't used any Nikon 1 systems but if it has an auto ISO option, that'd be a start, along with a circular polarizer filter on whatever lens you're using (I bought a few Amazon basic ones recently and they're pretty nice and affordable). As far as video settings, the usual rule is shutter speed should be inverse of frame rate so if shooting at 30fps, your shutter speed should be 1/30. So your aperture should be fairly narrow, and with scenic route you'll want a deeper depth of field so maybe f5.6 or 8 or more depending on how sunny it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Marker

Well, I got back from the trip last week - the natural scenery and roads were simply amazing. However, I failed to bring the Nikon's batteries :hurt:. Still was able to get decent video and photos from the iPhone, just not the same as using the S1.

I will keep your advice in mind the next time I'll be shooting video. I appreciate your help, osantacruz. Sorry for the later reply.