7th Inning Stretch for Mom

STM

I have found 2 places where I can get within about 100 feet of 2 FL Osprey nests. I sat at one today for over 2 hours waiting for something interesting to happen. In that entire time, Mom got up one time to stretch. I managed to get 5 images in the 1.25 seconds or so she spread her wings. The clouds moved in and out the whole time, as luck would have it, they were there when Mom finally decided to stretch. There is one chick I can see in the nest but since I am shooting up and they are so small (I am guessing a week old at this point), all you can see is the occasional head pop up. While I am home I anticipate hitting my two spots daily to get that one really great shot. Not there yet!

D700, 600mm f/4 ED-IF AIS and TC-14B. Shot at 1/1000 @ f/5.6

STM

Ok, I did not like the blah sky so I added a little color............

DSC_0823.jpg

STM

This COULD have been the "money shot" I have been searching for.

Ok, I admit, my patience grew a little thin with this female after 1.5 hours. All she did was sit and squawk. I had the camera set up, focus pre-set and a remote trigger plugged into the camera. I got up and rousted her from her nest and then hastily returned to my position. When she got near I just pushed the button and let the D700 do its thing at 8 fps. And every time she always returned with her back to me. Had she been facing me this would have been the shot I have been yearning to get. It would have been a great image and would have sold well. But persistence will pay off and I will get it!

Tomorrow when I roust her I will see the direction she returns and set up the camera accordingly. No need for the Beast on this one, I used the 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS and TC-14B. Effective focal length of 420mm was plenty of optical horsepower for this one.

STM_0904.jpg

salukfan111

This COULD have been the "money shot" I have been searching for.

Ok, I admit, my patience grew a little thin with this female after 1.5 hours. All she did was sit and squawk. I had the camera set up, focus pre-set and a remote trigger plugged into the camera. I got up and rousted her from her nest and then hastily returned to my position. When she got near I just pushed the button and let the D700 do its thing at 8 fps. And every time she always returned with her back to me. Had she been facing me this would have been the shot I have been yearning to get. It would have been a great image and would have sold well. But persistence will pay off and I will get it!

Tomorrow when I roust her I will see the direction she returns and set up the camera accordingly. No need for the Beast on this one, I used the 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS and TC-14B. Effective focal length of 420mm was plenty of optical horsepower for this one.

View attachment 214667
Rousting her can get you into trouble with USFWS Law Enforcement Officers (MBTA). People have gotten into serious trouble for that.