Sun Sniper Pro Strap - Review

Browncoat

One of the most overlooked camera accessories is a better strap. The ones that come with your DSLR are the very least the manufacturer could get away with and still call it a strap, not to mention they are very uncomfortable around your neck and cause your camera to bounce on your chest around with every step you take.

There are a lot of solutions available in just about every price range. Quality straps fall into the "you get what you pay for" category, so expect to pay $50-$100 (US) for a good one. I highly recommend visiting your local camera store and trying them on for size. Bring your camera with you and put several straps through the paces before selecting one. Unbiased peer reviews like those found here on Nikonites are great, but when it comes to comfort, no one can make the final choice but you.

For me, I had narrowed it down to just two choices: Sun Sniper or Black Rapid. Admittedly, I was initially drawn to the Black Rapid straps because of the MODS system of attachable pouches and accessories. However, there are several features of the Sun Sniper that ultimately made up my mind:

1. Security

The Sun Sniper Pro strap has a steel cable woven into the strap itself as an anti-theft device. Any would-be thief who tries to steal your camera by using a knife to cut the strap and snatch it away from you is going to be in for a surprise. By registering your product, you are also insured for $500 through Sun Sniper.

While your gear is probably worth a lot more, to me, this says that Sun Sniper is a company who stands behind their product. Your gear should be insured by an actual policy anyway, so a $500 reimbursement for theft by cutting through the strap is just an added bonus.

2. Attachment
One thing about these kinds of straps that made me leery is how it attaches to the camera. Like all of you, I thought about my camera just hanging there on my hip upside down, suspended by just a single screw in the tripod mount socket.

The Sun Sniper attachment is very beefy when compared to Black Rapid. It's easy to grab a hold of to remove if you're like me and don't leave the strap on all the time. This is all steel construction, even the internal ball bearing that allows for easy swivel action. There is also a rubber gasket in place so that you don't overtighten the screw against your camera body and strip out the threads. The Sun Sniper clip is the same as Black Rapid. It features a screw-on sleeve so that the clip doesn't accidentally open.

After reviewing the Sun Sniper website, it appears as though they have gone to a different design for their attachment than what is pictured below. I've had mine for awhile, so what is now available in stores may be different.

3. Comfort
Most of all, I thought this strap was much more comfortable than Black Rapid. The Sun Sniper shoulder padding is more than twice as thick and features a short bungee cord that acts as an additional shock absorber. It only stretches about 2-3 inches, but when combined with the extra padding, the difference is huge. To me at least, the Black Rapid straps felt kind of stiff and unforgiving.

Both straps are very high quality, made of identical materials. Both companies have different models and price ranges to choose from, and you can't go wrong with either one. Comfort is 100% personal preference, and it's a very large deciding factor when spending this kind of money on a strap. The larger attachment and added security of the Sun Sniper sealed the deal for me.

SunSniper-2.jpg

SunSniper-1.jpg

JoeLewisPhotography

This too is a nice strap, and in a perfect world, one would go to the local camera shop and try them out, however, that does not always work. I live in a large city, which only has 2 camera stores....and neither one carry either strap. So for me, I had to base my comfort on unbiased opinions and take a chance. for me, and my needs, the Black Rapid was the best option.

The security cable is a nice option, but, it wont stop a knife to your throat or a gun to your head, in which case you just hand it over. So that did nothing for me. I just stay out of high risk areas. Now a locator chip would be sweet!

Like you said, both are great options, and it comes down to personal pref.

Arizphotodude

Not at the moment, but I can take one. Would you like me to wear my purple thong or the pink one?

Lol! Well, since you offered, I prefer the purple, but would settle for pink! :D After doing some reading, it looks like you wear the camera off to the side....that is where I was a bit confused and wondering how it was that much more comfortable than a conventional strap. Makes sense now.

Sambr

This too is a nice strap, and in a perfect world, one would go to the local camera shop and try them out, however, that does not always work. I live in a large city, which only has 2 camera stores....and neither one carry either strap. So for me, I had to base my comfort on unbiased opinions and take a chance. for me, and my needs, the Black Rapid was the best option.

The security cable is a nice option, but, it wont stop a knife to your throat or a gun to your head, in which case you just hand it over. So that did nothing for me. I just stay out of high risk areas. Now a locator chip would be sweet!

Like you said, both are great options, and it comes down to personal pref.

Personally I like the BR especially the new version's "screw in lug" it one piece forged sold steel. I use this strap only when on vacation or if I am walking around lots and packing the 70-200vr or 300mm f4 otherwise I use "Domke 2inch wide Gripper straps" with metal detachable swivels. I found the Domke straps work well for 90% of my shooting.

PhotoAV8R

JOOC, are the camera body tripod fittings designed for this "negative" load? Looking on the Nikon website, I don't see anything like these straps where the camera hangs from the tripod mount. I would think the mount is designed to handle forces in sheer and compression, rather than in tension.

BWTHDIK

Browncoat

We're talking about a nut/bolt fitting here, which is a mechanical joint designed for various load types, including tension. It would take a pretty strong amount of force to shear off a steel bolt. The plastic housing is far more likely to crack, but even that is unlikely.

PhotoAV8R

We're talking about a nut/bolt fitting here, which is a mechanical joint designed for various load types, including tension. It would take a pretty strong amount of force to shear off a steel bolt. The plastic housing is far more likely to crack, but even that is unlikely.
The plastic body on the camera bottom is what I was referring to - not the metal-to-metal of the strap bolt within the camera tripod socket. I'm wondering if the socket is secured within the camera body a flange to provide security when in tension.

Basically, what keeps the socket in the camera bottom from pulling out?