Settings for slot 1 and 2

bmanley

Reading on getting the settings right to send RAW to slot one and JPEG to slot 2. What do I need to check to make sure this is right? I've not had time to play with anything RAW out of this camera yet so that is what I'd like to have the JPEGs just in case I really mess things up or have trouble editing the RAW images.

Horoscope Fish

Reading on getting the settings right to send RAW to slot one and JPEG to slot 2. What do I need to check to make sure this is right? I've not had time to play with anything RAW out of this camera yet so that is what I'd like to have the JPEGs just in case I really mess things up or have trouble editing the RAW images.
Go into the Shooting Menu and for the "Image Quality" setting use the option, "NEF (RAW) + JPG".

Also in the Shooting Menu, for the "Role played by card in Slot 2" setting, use the option, "RAW Slot 1 - JPG Slot 2".

bmanley

That is what I've been reading but had thought somebody had to change something else to get it to work right. I've been reading so many different things to try and get going it's hard sometime to remember everything .Will give it a try once I can find or pickup an extra card

Go into the Shooting Menu and for the "Image Quality" setting use the option, "NEF (RAW) + JPG".

Also in the Shooting Menu, for the "Role played by card in Slot 2" setting, use the option, "RAW Slot 1 - JPG Slot 2".

kd7eir

That is what I've been reading but had thought somebody had to change something else to get it to work right. I've been reading so many different things to try and get going it's hard sometime to remember everything .Will give it a try once I can find or pickup an extra card
That is all you need to do. I did that on day one and my D7200 has been happily serving up jpg and raw files.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

FYI, if you have the role for slot 2 set to "RAW Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2" and are not shooting JPEG then your camera will write a backup RAW file to Slot 2. If you shoot continuous this will slow your camera down considerably as the buffer takes more than twice as long to clear.

bmanley

The camera did okay setup for both slots. It did fill up fast and had to wait on the cards a few times and I have the fastest cards I can get right now. Still not sure I like the 7200. Might take it back and grab the 750. Would really like the 810 just not sure I'm going to shoot enough to spend that right now. The glass I have will work okay with the FX so I'm good there. Since I started with a D1x I've not shot anything digital without a crop so I would be nice to get full use out of the lenses

BackdoorArts

That's an excellent observation, Jake, one that wasn't readily apparent to me. Thanks for sharing it.

I hadn't either until I noticed my D500 was writing to both the XQD and SD cards after I switched from RAW+JPEG Fine* (that star's another thing - some other time) to RAW but didn't change the slot function. I know I must have done this before on other bodies but this was the first time I took notice of it - or at least the fact that it was writing to both bodies. There's a video I put somewhere on here where I show how the D600/610 buffer clears significantly more slowly when set this way when shooting only RAW. How I didn't notice stuff getting written to the second card at the time is anyone's guess.

One giveaway is that the counter on the top display drops in half, but it took me 5 years to notice that as well.

Last edited: