D500 Firmware Update and Battery Exchange. REALLY!!

BackdoorArts

I just looked at the firmware update to see what was fixed and saw only this...

Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the options for SETUP MENU > Language not displaying correctly.

Honestly, with the oddities I'm hearing here and there I would have expected a little more than that. I wonder if it's a don't ask don't tell thing?

ryan20fun

I just looked at the firmware update to see what was fixed and saw only this...

Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the options for SETUP MENU > Language not displaying correctly.

Honestly, with the oddities I'm hearing here and there I would have expected a little more than that. I wonder if it's a don't ask don't tell thing?
I saw some people of DPreview saying that Nikon don't always tell you what fixes/updates they've included.
Hopefully this fixes the issues people are having.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The thing that comes to mind for the battery replacement is that if someone has a lot of third party batteries... Nikon will certainly NOT replace these. These large companies really have a taste for control.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The thing that comes to mind for the battery replacement is that if someone has a lot of third party batteries... Nikon will certainly NOT replace these. These large companies really have a taste for control.
@Marcel I think I must be missing your point. Obviously Nikon isn't going to replace third party batteries with Nikon batteries. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
@Marcel I think I must be missing your point. Obviously Nikon isn't going to replace third party batteries with Nikon batteries. :)
No, of course they won't. I was just trying to make the point that sometimes when one thinks he saves money with third party accessories, they can be left out at times and end up NOT saving.

Woodyg3

Contributor
No, of course they won't. I was just trying to make the point that sometimes when one thinks he saves money with third party accessories, they can be left out at times and end up NOT saving.

Gotcha', and agreed. Nikon is not going to give the chip in their batteries away to third party vendors, just as they don't give info away to other lens manufacturers. I know people don't want to pay $48 for an EN-EL15, and that really does seem like a lot for a battery. But, when buying a $2000 camera, it's really a pretty small investment. It's less than than the XQD memory cards are going for right now!

While I wish there was no problem with the older Nikon batteries, at least they are willing to replace them for people who are willing to go through the process.

BackdoorArts

Thankfully I have 3 Li-ion20's. And I have 2 Pearstone batteries that B&H threw in with a couple bodies I've purchased over time and they work in the D750 and D800, so I'm good on the wait for the five replacements I have coming. They're saying 2 week turn around, but I'm not sure if that includes shipping time. I'm sending mine out today and it's a one day trip.

I expect Thom Hogan will be reporting on any reported hidden fixes in the firmware.

HotHits

Talked with Nikon Tec Support tonight they will be sending me free shipping labels to return the old batters for new ones. I'm so excited:cheerful:

BackdoorArts

FYI, I have installed the Firmware and it does seem to accelerate the loading of menus, which I cannot complain about. It did not fix the issue.

Woodyg3

Contributor
FYI, I have installed the Firmware and it does seem to accelerate the loading of menus, which I cannot complain about. It did not fix the issue.

Sorry it didn't fix your issue, but I kinda' figure that's going to have to come from Sigma. It must be maddening. Have any of your posts on other forums yielded any help? Have you found anyone else who has had the same issue?

BackdoorArts

Sorry it didn't fix your issue, but I kinda' figure that's going to have to come from Sigma. It must be maddening. Have any of your posts on other forums yielded any help? Have you found anyone else who has had the same issue?

It's not a Sigma issue. I've had it happen with the Sigma and with my Nikon 70-200mm and 300mm F4's. Nikon won't do anything unless I send them all in, and even then I suspect they will not be able to recreate the issue - which seems to involve quiescent periods between multiple burst shots and chimping. A tech will spend 20 minutes with it, say he can't recreate it and send it back to me. Thankfully B&H has offered to swap out mine for a new one, though I have to send it now and wait until the next batch comes in. At least it should be fixed.