Odd behaviour with my Nikon F-801

Hi all. Whilst out on the recent UK Bank Holiday Monday with my Nikon F-801 and the AF Nikkor 28-70 lens attached I was getting a rather odd behaviour when attempting to focus at a distance - the motor-drive was working overtime and 'hunting' in and out of focus and as a result the shutter was inactive.
I had newly recharged Eneloop AA batteries installed but the camera was just not happy - occasionally it would focus and releaser the shutter but generally on near and middle distance subjects.
The settings were P-Dual and on single frame with the metering set at Matrix conditions were good with plenty of BIG Blue Sky and intermittent light fluffy cloud.

Why should this happen please.

Last edited:
For those that don't recognize the camera model...

Technical Specification for Nikon F801s / N8008s SLR camera

Was the scene flat? like no contrast or straight lines to focus on?

Hi D K. Not especially so and even shifting to a more defined focal point did not bring about any positive change.
One other strange happening was that if I changed lenses to a Cosina long lens 100-300 and focused and then zoomed in the shutter would operate.

I am aware of the indefinable focal point because I actually own two Yashica 230AF's and indeed bought them both long before the Nikon's indeed I have had one of the Yashica 230AF's from new and never had any real issues with either.

Hi D K. Not especially so and even shifting to a more defined focal point did not bring about any positive change.
One other strange happening was that if I changed lenses to a Cosina long lens 100-300 and focused and then zoomed in the shutter would operate.

I am aware of the indefinable focal point because I actually own two Yashica 230AF's and indeed bought them both long before the Nikon's indeed I have had one of the Yashica 230AF's from new and never had any real issues with either.

I was a Yashica Dealer many years ago and still have a Yashica 230AF with a 80-200 zoom on it (Had to go look to see what was on it LOL) sitting in a drawer here somewhere. Those cameras were really ahead of their time I think.

Konin

A bit late in replying,

Anyway, I've an F801 and an F70 :). I had this happen once , I just lightly tapped the shutter release when it was trying to make it's mind up and all was back to normal.

Very nice camera the F801.