I have a question.

OldSoul

I was out shooting today, I had my camera (D7200) and had it in aperture priority setting and for some reason it would not allow me to drop the aperture below 5.6, was the camera keeping me from making a mistake?, just curious.

Horoscope Fish

Yes it was, wow, I didn't know that. Thank you, truly appreciate it:encouragement:
When a lens has a variable aperture, such as f/3.5-f/5.6 as on your 18-140mm, it means the longer the focal length, the smaller the maximum aperture. You can only shoot at the widest aperture, f/3.5 at 18mm or so. Beyond that and the maximum aperture starts to fall off to f/4, f/4.5, f/5.6 etc. as the focal length increases.

Constant aperture lenses, such as my Tamron 70-20mm f/2.8 Di VC USD don't do this; they maintain a single maximum aperture across the focal length. But that costs money. Sometimes a LOT of money depending on just how large a maximum aperture/focal length you want.

OldSoul

my next questions is this, if in Aperature Priority mode and I take a photo at maximum zoom will the camera adust aperature automatically when I zoom all the way in? or do I need to check it and readjust it manually?

OldSoul

Ok instaed of being lazy and asking I grabbed the camera and tried it. It will adjust down automatically if I have it set at lowest aperature setting which is 3.6 on this lens if I have it set at 5.6 it wont drop, good to know as I am just learning the 7200 so one less thing to mess with while I get my arms around this beast. :)