For the Nikonite who has everything

STM

All of this and it is less than most DSLR's and looks to be immaculate!

Nikon F2 de 1 Prism Motor Drive MF 1 28mm Lens | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

STM

Think of all of the money you can save in gym membership payments if you carry this around! :D

WM

With 250 exposures worth of film loaded, this beast probably weighs around 15 pounds or more. This is the kind of rig you set up remotely. Nikon also made a wireless trigger (quite revolutionary for the 70's) and an intervalometer which you could set for any period between images.

I would love to just have that DE-1 finder for my F2. It is meterless and much smaller than the standard DP-1 Photomic finder I have on mine. Since I do not use the meter on my F2 except in very rare occasions, it would be perfect. They are rare as hen's teeth so they are very expensive, far more than they are worth. I have seen them go on Ebay for as much as $400, when the DP-1 goes for around $100

Whiskeyman

With 250 exposures worth of film loaded, this beast probably weighs around 15 pounds or more. This is the kind of rig you set up remotely. Nikon also made a wireless trigger (quite revolutionary for the 70's) and an intervalometer which you could set for any period between images.

I would love to just have that DE-1 finder for my F2. It is meterless and much smaller than the standard DP-1 Photomic finder I have on mine. Since I do not use the meter on my F2 except in very rare occasions, it would be perfect. They are rare as hen's teeth so they are very expensive, far more than they are worth. I have seen them go on Ebay for as much as $400, when the DP-1 goes for around $100

I got to handle a Nikon with the roll film back a long time ago, and while I'm sure its heft made an impression, it was how unwieldy the rig was that made the biggest impression. That rig had its place on a tripod in the portrait studio, for it certainly wasn't a walk around camera! It likely had either a 105 f 1.8 or a 200 f2 on the front of it, but I'm not sure which.

I did not realize the difference in the finders and hadn't thought about it, either. I'm going to have to look into it more. I do know that there are a lot of old film cameras that I would have loved to own 35-40 years ago being sold today. I'd love to get your take on which one(s) to really be interested in.

WM

STM

I got to handle a Nikon with the roll film back a long time ago, and while I'm sure its heft made an impression, it was how unwieldy the rig was that made the biggest impression. That rig had its place on a tripod in the portrait studio, for it certainly wasn't a walk around camera! It likely had either a 105 f 1.8 or a 200 f2 on the front of it, but I'm not sure which.

I did not realize the difference in the finders and hadn't thought about it, either. I'm going to have to look into it more. I do know that there are a lot of old film cameras that I would have loved to own 35-40 years ago being sold today. I'd love to get your take on which one(s) to really be interested in.

WM

The 250 exposure back was never meant to be a "walking around" rig. It was intended for extended remote photography or for situations like school photos where you would be handling a large number of images at one time.

My F2 is a circa 1974 camera. Back then the first 2 digits of the serial number was the year the camera was made. I worked an entire summer and saved every penny and bought one new. I bet in the last 42 years I have put close to a mile of film through that camera and it has only been to the shop twice in all of that time for a CLA. Today's digital cameras are almost meant to be disposable. New technology, toss the old one in the trash or sell it to some sap on Ebay. Where do you think all of the D5's will be 40 years from now? Stuffed in a box in the attic or in a landfill somewhere. But the timeless classics like the F2 continue to solider on..................

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

But the timeless classics like the F2 continue to solider on..................

As long as we can still get film. I still have my FM and FE, Hassy 500 C and Wista 4x5 field camera. I just don't use them much these days, but when my kids have wanted to try photography, they start with a roll of 24 exposures in the FM.

WM