D3100 concerns

Colin Massey

I have now had my D3100 for about 4 weeks now and I am concerned it may be faulty, I have many cameras over the years and more recently have had the opportunity to try the Lumix FZ45 and the camera produced some amazing pictures from Auto setting right through to P Mode. I do know what I am doing to a certain degree when it comes to settings but all my shots with this new D3100 seem to be coming out over exposed from auto to P mode settings, could something be amiss with this camera or am I expecting too much too soon ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

Please post a few shots you are concerned about so we can see the issue. I'm assuming the exposure compensation is set at zero?

Colin Massey

File Info 1
File: DSC_0085.JPG
Date Created: 17/09/2011 14:29:25
Date Modified: 19/09/2011 18:32:33
File Size: 3.44 MB
Image Size: L (4608 x 3072)
File Info 2
Date Shot: 17/09/2011 14:29:25.40
Time Zone and Date: UTC, DST:OFF
Image Quality: Jpeg Normal (8-bit)
Artist:
Copyright:
Image Comment:
Camera Info
Device: Nikon D3100
Lens: VR 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 48mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Auto
VR: OFF
AF Fine Tune:
Exposure
Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/160s
Scene Mode: Auto
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 100)
Flash
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Flash Exposure Comp.:
Colored Filter:
Image Settings
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: sRGB
High ISO NR: ON (Normal)
Long Exposure NR: OFF
Active D-Lighting: Auto
Image Authentication:
Vignette Control:
Auto Distortion Control: OFF
Picture Control
Picture Control: [SD] STANDARD
Base: [SD] STANDARD
Quick Adjust: -
Sharpening: Auto
Contrast: Active D-Lighting
Brightness: Active D-Lighting
Saturation: Auto
Hue: 0
Filter Effects:
Toning:
GPS
Latitude:
Longitude:
Altitude:
Altitude Reference:
Heading:
UTC:
Map Datum:
DSC_0085.JPG

Colin Massey

Please post a few shots you are concerned about so we can see the issue. I'm assuming the exposure compensation is set at zero?
Thanks Rik, here are a couple of shots that I took yesterday noth look washed out and lack focus, I have had many years with expensive bridge cameras and have taken some amazing shots, but I am just not getting anything close with this D3100, thanks for your help
File Info 1
File: DSC_0105.JPG
Date Created: 17/09/2011 14:31:17
Date Modified: 19/09/2011 18:32:33
File Size: 2.90 MB
Image Size: L (4608 x 3072)
File Info 2
Date Shot: 17/09/2011 14:31:17.40
Time Zone and Date: UTC, DST:OFF
Image Quality: Jpeg Normal (8-bit)
Artist:
Copyright:
Image Comment:
Camera Info
Device: Nikon D3100
Lens: VR 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 42mm
Focus Mode: AF-A
AF-Area Mode: Auto
VR: OFF
AF Fine Tune:
Exposure
Aperture: F/8
Shutter Speed: 1/250s
Scene Mode: Auto
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 100)
Flash
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Flash Exposure Comp.:
Colored Filter:
Image Settings
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: sRGB
High ISO NR: ON (Normal)
Long Exposure NR: OFF
Active D-Lighting: Auto
Image Authentication:
Vignette Control:
Auto Distortion Control: OFF
Picture Control
Picture Control: [SD] STANDARD
Base: [SD] STANDARD
Quick Adjust: -
Sharpening: Auto
Contrast: Active D-Lighting
Brightness: Active D-Lighting
Saturation: Auto
Hue: 0
Filter Effects:
Toning:
GPS
Latitude:
Longitude:
Altitude:
Altitude Reference:
Heading:
UTC:
Map Datum:
DSC_0105.JPG

Rick M

At first glance, I would turn off active D lighting. I'm not a fan of it and it could be contributing the appearence of being overexposed. You need to get out of auto or scene modes to turn off active D lighting. I suggest you shoot in aperature priority with Active D off and see what you get.

Just-Clayton

when i shoot with my 3100 i noticed if active D was on while shooting in auto pics were blown out. i dont even shoot in auto any more. mostly m mode or A and S mode.

Rick M

As far as focus on these two shots, I would have gone to manual. Both have multiple subjects at very different depths, one some haze and the other has alot of contrast, auto-focus on these is just guessing. A uv filter on the second may have helped.

Rick M

As far as the Lumix FZ45- It's a great point and shot with a great lens. It will produce excellent snapshots. If you could be content without a wide angle lens and don't like to enlarge/crop much it is very capable. The image sensor in your D3100 is about 15 times larger than that of the lumix. When I get that shot of a lifetime, I want to be able to blow it up big!, can't do that with the lumix (at least it won't look nearly as good).

AxeMan - Rick S.

Just thinking out loud here, Am I correct to say Active D lighting will have no effect on RAW files? If that 's the case I'm going on leave mine on. I shoot JPG and RAW. I like to see what the camera thinks the shot should look like compared to my post processed RAW file.

Colin's samples look very similar to mine, wondering if it's a combination of camera setting to "Clean" them up.

Rick M

My understanding is that Active D lighting is a pre-exposure process manipulating the exposure prior to capture and will effect RAW images. The D3100 manual also states that it may add noise.

Last edited:

Rick M

FYI-

Page 86 of the D3100 Reference manual-

"Noise (randomly-spaced bright pixels, fog, or lines) may appear in photographs taken with Active D-lighting. Uneven shading may be visible with some subjects."

Colin Massey

Thanks for all the feedback guys, been away for a week so will be experimenting again soon, recently invested in some filters inc a UV one, all your comments are fully appreciated:)