The delima... do I go with D500 or D810

advnturer

I recently got a bonus through work and my wife is letting me spend it on myself, so I decided to upgrade my 3200. I have had my 3200 for about two years and have only really got into photography in the last year, so still consider myself a novice user as I have only recently started really working my pictures. As I approach retirement, in about 2 years, my goal is to do a lot of landscape and wildlife; ultimately for large format prints and framing.

Since half my glass and all my good glass is already FX ready, I decided to upgrade to FX. For the last three weeks, I have gone over every inch of detail and reviews between the D750 and the D810. I found a camera store that has both these in American release models for $1600 and $2300 respectively so my debate is, is the extra $700 worth it. I was looking at the 750 plus a new lens or just the 810 and use my current stuff (28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and 50 mm f/1.8) and had decided to go with the 810 with resolution the deciding factor.... until a friend who is a professional photographer suggested I take a serious look at the D500. My only DX glass is the kit glass that came with my 3200 and I cannot remember the last time I used either, not a consideration at all in my final decision. What is a major factor is this will probably be my only and last high $$ body.

I am now almost ready to flip a coin. Still leaning toward the D810 with the possibility that it is much more than what I need, but the D500 looks like it would do the job very well as well.... $300 difference in price is not a big consideration.

What do you guys think?

Dan

Last edited:

J-see

I have a D810 and it is a monster in terms of quality. But it's a slow monster that eats resources when it comes to data-transfer and processing.

I'd rather sell my mommy than swap it for a DX unless I really needed the speed the D500 offers. At that level it is about the only affordable option, at least for me as a hobbyist.

The D750 is a great cam too, I owned one until recently, but it is no real competition for a D810. That one simply delivers more but costs a third more too.

jay_dean

The D810 is a great camera, and is probably as near to a jack-of-all-trades, and master of them as you can get. Its early days for the D500 atm

Horoscope Fish

It would be a toss-up, for me, between the D810 and the D750. I find the D750 a bit more nimble than the D810 with it's smaller file-size and lighter body. If I had to choose a "Jack of all Trades, Master at None" Nikon body, the best choice for the generalist photographer, it would be the D750; though the D810 would be a close second. If my shooting ran heavily, meaning almost exclusively, towards landscape or architectural photography then I would probably side with the D810. Either one would be a monumental upgrade.

Tossing the D500 in the mix makes this more of apples to oranges comparison in my mind. There's no doubt the D500 is a beastly DX body, but I still think of DX and FX as two very different tools. The D500 should definitely be a consideration if your shooting leans heavily towards wildlife photography; if you're birder for instance.

Osantacruz

Depends what you shoot. With a fast xqd card, you'll basically have an unlimited buffer on the d500 if you shoot bursts. D750 is overall amazing and my only wish to add on it would be 1/8000 instead of 1/4000 shutter limit. I like it better than my d800 because the focus is much better in my real world use. Honestly, unless your computer is garbage, processing d800 images isn't the slow process so many people make it out to be. And HDD drive space is fairly cheap these days so the concerns about file space are, in my opinion, silly. The d800 does have a few nice touches like a dedicated AF back focus button and I prefer the button layout for changing ISO over the d750 (while the d750 has a better mode and metering layout over the d800 IMO) Since the d810 is basically a d800 with better focusing, the same would apply to that camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Osantacruz

Depends what you shoot. With a fast xqd card, you'll basically have an unlimited buffer on the d500 if you shoot bursts. D750 is overall amazing and my only wish to add on it would be 1/8000 instead of 1/4000 shutter limit. I like it better than my d800 because the focus is much better in my real world use. Honestly, unless your computer is garbage, processing d800 images isn't the slow process so many people make it out to be. And HDD drive space is fairly cheap these days so the concerns about file space are, in my opinion, silly. The d800 does have a few nice touches like a dedicated AF back focus button and I prefer the button layout for changing ISO over the d750 (while the d750 has a better mode and metering layout over the d800 IMO) Since the d810 is basically a d800 with better focusing, the same would apply to that camera.

One other thing that is just a small detail but since these all use EN-EL15 batteries, it's just worth mentioning that it seems the d500 isn't very friendly with 3rd party batteries. An annoying change but one to keep in mind if, like me, you refuse to pay $50 for a single battery.

aroy

For Landscape and and large prints D810 is a no brainer. D500 only if you shoot fast action and wildlife with Super Telephotos and need that extra range that a DX body can provide.

If you really do not see need for 36MP immediately, then get the D750. It is lighter, uses two SD cards and has an articulate screen. By the way 24MP, can give you large prints - 24" x 36" or bigger with proper Upsizing Software (I have used ON1 and it is excellent). By the time you are ready for Large Format Prints a better body will be available, so go with a D750 now and if the idea of large prints takes off in the next couple of years, get the latest high resolution body.

Lawrence

LOL Interesting arguments and probably caused more consternation in the OP's mind.

That's what is so tough about this "upgrading" malarkey and so good about Nikonites. :)

Danno

That first paragraph in your note leans toward the 810. It would do that very well. I have a friend with an 810 that does similar photos for big prints and it is pretty amazing.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you were already established and selling large prints I'd say go for the 810. But if you're planning to do prints for yourself, you might run out of wall space pretty fast and be left with a camera that is providing larger files than you really need.

I always suggest getting better lenses first, and then better bodies. If you want to do landscapes, the 14-24 is the one to get. The 750 should provide plenty of pixels for large prints.

But the money is yours to spend. Take your time and buy what you decide you want.

aroy

Bodies are updated frequently and newer capability is hard to ignore. In contrast good lenses are good enough for decades. If you are just starting, as suggested upgrade your glass and get a reasonably priced FX body. By the time you need a high MP sensor, a new body with 50MP or there about will be in the market, overtaking the 36MP D810.

advnturer

I have made my choice but was helped greatly in my decision by the auction price for a refurbished, American issue, <6000K shutter count, and have bought the D810. I actually got it for about the same cost as a D500. The company that had it in auction is an authorized Nikon repair facility in business for over 45 years, so felt pretty good about going with it. I'll post my first light when I get it. Supposed to be in Tuesday.

hrstrat57

Price no consideration? You made the right choice the D810 is a landscape shooting beast. However, I have friend who shoots studio (modeling) and action (NCAA hoops and hockey) and it does a nice job with both. Unless you really need 10fps you just bought equipment with few limitation.

Bear in mind you are upgrading from a Camry to a Ferrari, be patient. I have shot a bit with the D810 and you cannot be lazy with technique the resolution is just ridiculous.

You'll need new glass too, take Marcel's advice first if money is no concern.

Enjoy retirement, I am right behind you, semi retired already! It's awesome!